Thursday, October 25, 2012

The Whole Fam Damily at Disney from Open To Close

Gone are the days of mandatory naps- well, for the kids anyway. With the price of parking at Disney, and the time it takes to get from your car to the actual entry gate, I decided we would not take a mid-day break from the fun, but instead, we would stay at Disney from Open to Close. And we did.

I admit that the kids did amazingly well considering they were up at 7:00 and out of the condo by 8:45, at the Disney Magic Kingdom from 10:00 a.m. until just past 10:00 p.m. when we made our way toward the van. Factoring in the commute back to the condo it was almost 11:00 before their heads hit the pillows.

This was a long ass day, by any standards.

Included in this marathon of all things Disney were countless rides, adventures, shows and delights.



I think the photos do a better job of showing how much fun the kids had during their Magic Kingdom-palooza.

Do you have any idea how many lines we waited in? Do you realize that having 6 same aged kids standing in line to do something really exciting is painful. I lost count micromanaging what I could. (No wiggling, touching each other, monkeying around with ropes and poles, whining, fighting and causing others to do something naughty) Even with fast passes there is plenty of patience required. Waiting in lines is bad.

Since this was technically Nana and Papa's anniversary gift to each other, we tried to get one decent image

of all three sets of twins, or the quads and twins, or the faux sextuplets. You can call them just about anything and the general public at Disney will buy it. I still heard plenty of hushed and not so hushed whispers about our gaggle of dressed alike multiples. One lady asked me if they were all identical? I nodded and said, "They sure are, good eye, most people don't notice that." Duhhhhh. Face palm.

The evening went better than I expected and their were very few meltdowns, temper tantrums, and hissy fits. From me. The kids seemed to understand that if they dared to act like goons, I would leave and take them with me. That and the fact that each kid was given a dangling carrot of a small gift card to spend at a Disney shop.

I drilled it into their heads all day. The children that were able to behave like solid citizens all day would get to spend their gift card on the way out. I was not about to carry around four bags of crap all day long- no effing way in hell that was going to happen. I fully admit I bribed them into keeping their composure all day by using a reward. I have no shame in my game because it works.

As we made our way back to Main Street to find a spot to view the light parade, I heard someone shouting, "Helene, Helene!" The voice was not one I recognized from our group. I turned to check, and sure enough, it was Jeff's first cousin, Laura, and her family
from Indianapolis. WOW! What are the odds? It's a small world after all, only in real life. Not just at Disney.

We gathered on Main Street for the infamous



light parade. The kids watched as the show strolled by. They knew that after the show but before fireworks there would be a short break and we could use that time to redeem their much earned gift cards.

Just before the fireworks began, we stepped into the Main Street boutiques and they each selected a toy as we completed our stay.


Even Eli said, "Mom, I totally get why you did not let us buy something in the morning because we would have to keep track of our stuff on rides and in shows, and I bet something would have gotten lost and that would have been so so so so sad." Apparently my constant nagging and preaching sunk in.

As we dragged ass onto the monorail and to the van, we all recounted our favorite parts of the experience. For me, it was spending quality time with my fam damily at Disney, from open to close.

No comments:

The older crowd

The older crowd
Amanda and Mitchell

A blast from the past...makes it all so real now

counter