Thursday, October 18, 2012

Slutsky Name Calling- a lesson in ethics

The topic of conversation among my children never ceases to amaze me. They have full fledged discussions on random topics and since each one has a different opinion these often escalate into arguments. It is like I am coaching a debate team. Every. single. day!

I overheard the kids discussing a child in Charlotte’s class. The next thing I know, they were giggling and cracking up about something and it became clear I needed to ask some questions. The volume had escalated, they were acting like goons and it was obvious they were up to no good. All I could determine was that they were saying burger, cheeseburger, hamburger on a bun and so on and so forth. Upon investigating the subject, it turned out they were making fun of someone’s last name. The last name was innocently enough, BERGER.

WHOA! Hold on. I had to refrain myself. The SLUTSKY kids were talking about the hilariousness of another kid’s last name? I had to nip it in the bud.

Of course my cherubs do not realize this is a slippery slope. They do not realize our last name contains SLUT nor would they even begin to understand the irony of their actions. This is one time when I had to address the principle head on. We do not make fun of names, period.

I believe they all understood my seriousness, and maybe someday they will look back on this life lesson and nod their heads in agreement. I am sure it won’t be long before they know the tooth fairy isn’t real, and our last name is slightly humorous.

Until then, I am just managing the debate team with a lesson in ethics.

No comments:

The older crowd

The older crowd
Amanda and Mitchell

A blast from the past...makes it all so real now

counter