Friday, September 21, 2012

Morning Coffee Kids

While we are making references to monkey see, monkey do this week, let's talk about my morning coffee.  And let's talk about my kids. When they were born, I became a coffee drinker- it is triplet mom, course 101, for beginners.  Once the triplets were mobile and talking, I graduated from the advanced program, espresso 310.  Coffee and multiples go hand in hand.

It is no secret that you don't mess with Mommie before coffee.  My kids know better.  With this in mind, it is no wonder that my own children have a keen interest in drinking coffee.  When they first asked to sample from my cup, I allowed it.  I assumed they would hate it, and that would be the end of it.  I made an ass out of you and me when I assumed.  I was wrong.

My children love coffee.  It is weird.  They enjoy coffee and consider themselves coffee drinkers.  Last year at the parent breakfast, CJ poured himself a cup of coffee and his kindergarten teacher quickly swept in and told him that was for adults.  CJ tried to plead his case, but to no avail.  For the rest of the school year I heard how Morah Rachel did not let him have coffee.  He was so disappointed.

This summer when Netanya was visiting, we went to the market district at Kingsdale.  Before we left to go home, all four kids asked we could stop and get a coffee.  Netanya thought they were joking.  She was wrong.  They wanted a cinnamon latte with cinnamon sugar on top of the whipped cream.  Of course, Netanya was blown away when the actually drank it- to her that was completely facebook status update worthy.  Four kids under 7, sipping a hot coffee drink- that is truly weird.

I have learned to buy one enormous sized serving and divide it up into individual child sized portions.  Buying one large versus four smalls is a huge savings.  I'd be broke if each kid got to order their own.  There are some days when can't even justify spending the money on mine.

Charlotte has been drinking coffee since she was little.  Her special treat has always been to hang out with Mommie at Starbucks while the triplets are doing something else.  Charlotte can order at Starbucks by herself, as she has done since she was about 3 years old. This morning I was making myself a vanilla chai latte when the scent of my creation wafted toward the breakfast table. My four moochers were quick to ask for their own cup. I brewed the nectar of the morning gods and poured them each a mug. They quickly posed for photos








of themselves, randoming sipping, doing peace signs, bunny ears and fake wieners, all while drinking their brews.  All this excitement before 8:00 a.m. on a school day.  Good times.

For the record my children drink their coffee 80% milk, 20% coffee with a splash of sugar and or a flavor syrup.  Now, they are coffee snobs- last week CJ told me his coffee was too milky and it was not coffee tasting enough for his liking.  I was not sure whether to be proud of his grown up taste buds or worried for my future.

I only wish this post was financially sponsored by Starbucks, I can barely afford to buy my own coffee drinks, yet alone, four more.

3 comments:

instant student said...

I love this post!
I am a coffee addict myself, too!

For the fancy drinks, I try to make them at home myself.
That is much cheaper.
It also helps, that there is no Starbucks close by.

HOA Mgr Lady said...

This struck my heartstrings as I have been drinking coffee since my scandanavian Mom insisted we eat our crusts... I was about 4 or 5. Who knew we were Jewish ? PS what does Morah - Rachele mean? is that yiddish or hebrew for Miss?
That Lutheran in California
Ruth

Bobbie said...

I'm married to a Starbucks fiend, and I have never had more than a couple of sips in my whole life! To me it just tastes burned. I'll take my Diet Coke any day.

Blog Archive

The older crowd

The older crowd
Amanda and Mitchell

A blast from the past...makes it all so real now

counter