Friday, August 31, 2012

The Early Bird Gets the Worm-Free Honeycrisp Apples

As in previous years, I was alerted to the date and time for u-pick Honeycrsip apples at Lynd’s fruit farm. I immediately calendared the event and arranged my day off from work accordingly. Freshly picked Honeycrisp apples are that good.

If you have never had a Honeycrisp apple, you do not know what you are missing. They are the combination of sweet, tart, juicy, crispy, and delicious. The are in limited supply because the trees are short, small and this is a relatively new and popular flavor or type of apple.

Since Mother Nature is a complete bitch, the original schedule was changed at the last minute. My predestined date with apple picking was ahead of the initial timing. Apparently, hurricanes and dry summers make apple ripening unpredictable. I had to scramble at the last minute to make myself available this morning (instead of next week) to get the highly coveted u-pick honeycrisps this season.

The early bird gets the worm free Honeycrisp Apples, that much I know.
If you arrive late on the first day of Honeycrisp picking, you are screwed. Lynd's opened at 9 and by 9:15 a.m. I was satisfied with the stellar crop of gorgeous, heavy, apples I harvested.
Doesn't everyone wear layers of Akris Punto and Chanel sunglasses with the coordinating belt for field work?

I got my moneys worth of pristine, pretty Honeycrisps, free from insect bites, worm holes and blemishes. With the kids in school, I had my window to drive out to the orchard, stake my tiny, fruit plentiful trees, pick 90 plus pounds, drink my caffeinated breakfast with a green straw, and get back on the road in time to open the store. And I did.

The u-pick thirty pound bag was $30 and I jammed that sucker full of apples to the point of testing the strength of the plastic seams. There was not one ounce of unused baggage space inside, as I layered the apples deeper and deeper into the haul. I am guessing that if I had actually weighed the bags that technically held 30 pounds, they would have weighed closer to 40 pounds a piece. I guess that is one way to bring down the price increase?

There is no rest for the wicked, and let me tell you, this early bird got her worm free Honeycrisp apples.

3 comments:

pyjammy pam said...

I am beyond jealous. I have to pay premium prices for those beauties. I'd kill to be able to pick them myself!

Kari said...

What she said! I think we pay at least a dollar apiece here. And they are worth every penny!

Helene Eichenwald Slutsky said...

My kids have already eaten 25 pounds since Thursday. This is messing with my apple rotation for a grocery budget. The local market has honeycrisps for $2.29 a pound dammit

Blog Archive

The older crowd

The older crowd
Amanda and Mitchell

A blast from the past...makes it all so real now

counter