Friday, August 24, 2012

It is the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

With a blog post title like this, you might assume I am talking about the winter holiday season. WRONG. Nope. Guess again, it is the most wonderful time of the year for a fashion obsessed, slightly warped, designer influenced, personal shopper like me. Duh.

It is the time for SEPTEMBER VOGUE. The time is now.

You have no idea how I get all freaked until my copy arrives aromatically sealed in the plastic. G-d forbid someone take it out of the wrapper before I do. I must be the first to turn the pages, smell the fresh paper and I am quite vocal about my precious September issue of Vogue.

As the end of August nears, the September Vogue is delivered. Seeing it, all 4 inches thick, gives me a spastic colon. Giddy is too kind. I am almost faint at the sight of it. Imagine my absolute delight when on the same day the postal carrier brought

BOTH September Vogue and September Women's Wear Daily- "W." I was weak in the knees.

Reading these publications are my drug. It is an escape from reality of sorts. I am not delusional, I realize it is fashion fantasy, and I am fantasizing. Four kids in 18 months? Who? What mountain of laundry? Me? Packing four school lunches? Hold on people, give a few more hours of heavy reading here!

I turn each page slowly, savoring the advertisements and articles as if they are my treasured bible, because they kind of are. Nothing says current and in the know like the volume and sheer magnitude of the Vogue.

I get comfortable, pour myself a delicious beverage and sit underneath the words of my dear friend, Coco Chanel.There is something truly therapeutic and kinda zen in this moment- for me anyway. There is no thought of emptying the dishwasher or grocery shopping.

As a product of growing up in the eighties, I have not missed a single debut of the September Vogue in 25 years. Yet each year, I find myself chanting a little Madonna when I am not quoting Coco Chanel.

Greta Garbo, and Monroe
Deitrich and DiMaggio
Marlon Brando, Jimmy Dean
On the cover of a magazine

Grace Kelly; Harlow, Jean
Picture of a beauty queen
Gene Kelly, Fred Astaire
Ginger Rodgers, dance on air

They had style, they had grace
Rita Hayworth gave good face
Lauren, Katherine, Lana too
Bette Davis, we love you

Ladies with an attitude
Fellows that were in the mood
Don't just stand there, let's get to it
Strike a pose, there's nothing to it

Vogue.

It truly is the most wonderful time of the year, Madonna, Coco Chanel and I have our words to live by.

I will leave you with my own mantra- "The days are long, but the weeks fly by so you better look fabulous every single day!" Helene Slutsky

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a long time reader and admirer, and first time poster, I must say I'm very excited for the fall blog line! You give this 20-something, fashion loving, J-dater frequent laughs! Thanks for coming back!

Helene Eichenwald Slutsky said...

Glad you posted jdater. So you like fashion and are a single Jewess? Tell us more. We want you introduce you to my single guy friends.

Anonymous said...

Alavai! I hope those singles are in the NYC area. The Jdate sound bite: very new lawyer, NY native, great sense of humor.

Blog Archive

The older crowd

The older crowd
Amanda and Mitchell

A blast from the past...makes it all so real now

counter