Thursday, November 3, 2011

Highway to Hell

Jeff took off for Atlanta this morning before the kids and I faced our journey with I-70. It is days like today that even I question my sanity. You are not alone in doubting my ability to pull this kind of hair brained scheme- I myself, wondered if we would make it back without permanent damage to my brain.

I started the morning early, finding the kids all snug as a bugs in a rug. Despite the peaceful slumber, we had about 700 miles and one time zone to go before nightfall, so I had to gettum up and move em out. By myself.


In my head, the lyrics from AC/DC were burned on my brain. How could I not be singing this as I tackled the drive?

I'm on the highway to hell
on the highway to hell
I'm on the highway to hell
on the highway to...HELL
highway to hell
I'm on the highway to hell
highway to hell
highway to hell
highway to hell
momma, highway to highway to hell
And Im going down, all the way down
Im on the highway to hell

We had a long way to go, and a short time to get there. I was not driving this,I was in the Oy Vey mobile with a stack of red box movies and a shit load of Halloween candy. In retrospect, it was not a total recipe for disaster. It is amazing what kids will do in order to get candy and watch pure drivel on DVD.

We stopped for fuel in Terre Haute, Indiana where I made a contribution to my retirement fund. As I bought the powerball ticket, I selected a quick pick rather than my own special numbers and explained the concept of the lottery to the kids. As we drove east, we discussed what we would do with 254 million dollars. Of course I did the whole blah blah blah about charity and helping others before the kids were spending the whole kit and caboodle. Eli would move to Hawaii, CJ would buy 1000 dogs, Natalie would take an airplane to Disney and Charlotte would go to Panama. Me? I would never, ever, drive to and from Kansas City by myself with four kids. And that is what got me through the rest of the trip on the Highway to Hell.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

It's a small world. I live in the New Albany area and have family in Overland Park, KS. I have driven there many times. Just wanted to say hi and that I enjoy your blog.

The older crowd

The older crowd
Amanda and Mitchell

A blast from the past...makes it all so real now

counter