Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Rosh Hashana is the new Thanksgiving

Jeff and I noticed a disturbing trend in the retail marketplace. As we strolled through Fashion Show mall for lunch yesterday, it seemed as if most stores were already decorated for and displaying Christmas merchandise.

Apparently, Rosh Hashana is the new Thanksgiving.

The push for Christmas shopping keeps getting earlier and earlier each year. This is the first time I have seen the full on Christmas hoopla in September. Good lord, it is not even the month of Halloween yet.

While I do not celebrate Christmas personally, I do embrace the idea of holiday gift giving and shopping. As a person who depends on the retail dollar for a paycheck, I understand the motive, I just don't agree with the timing.

To me, the holiday season kicks off on the day after Thanksgiving. Since Rosh Hashana is literally translated as Head of the year, maybe we should change the translation to say, Head to the mall.

Let the shopping begin- Happy New Year.

No comments:

Blog Archive

The older crowd

The older crowd
Amanda and Mitchell

A blast from the past...makes it all so real now

counter