Friday, September 9, 2011

Gluten Free Apple Crumble

If your home is anything like mine this time of year, you have a plethora of fresh apples to eat. When there are four small hands in the apple orchard, it does not take long before you have 30 to 40 pounds of fruit. Cue the recipes and get out the peelers.

On Labor Day I had the kids peeling apples. This was my own version of occupational therapy. Back when I was obsessed with them NOT being developmentally delayed, they did all kinds of OT in therapeutic play sessions. They never even knew it was occupational, physical or speech therapy when they were having fun. The same is true now, when I am helping them improve hand dexterity and hand eye coordination. Smooth round apples and sharp peelers make for a great tool in concentration as well. Little did they need to know it was also slave labor. I giggled to myself that I was violating child labor laws on Labor day. It was my own kind of pun fun. Therapy? Labor? What's the big difference?

So anyway, after the apples were peeled I cranked out three pans of cinnamon apple crumble for the freezer, and one to sample for dessert to reward the laborers. This was a cinch to make, it took very little effort, and now that I have a stash of these in aluminum foil pans, I am good to go to a pot luck, or an impromptu gathering here at home.

I used the Bob's Red Mill Shortbread mix for the dough base, and with the proper layering and improvising, it was a great way to use up those apples. This served as an amazing home fragrance too.

Ingredients:

2 packages Bob's Red Mill GF Shortbread Mix
2 sticks of butter
2 egg yolks
4 TBSP ground cinnamon
1/3 cup water
apples, apples, apples (peeled, cored, sliced)
brown sugar for decoration

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray the foil baking pans with cooking spray and set in a row on the counter.

Fill each about 1/2 to 3/4 full with the apple slices. Sprinkle a little cinnamon and toss to coat them with a few pinches of the dry shortbread mix.Add a few cubes of butter atop the apples and allow some of the butter to fall down into the apples.

Use the remaining butter, water, yolks, ground cinnamon and shortbread mix
to form a soft dough. Crumble hunks on top of the apples to make a rough and pebbled crust. Press some of the dough together so that there are smooth areas
and vents throughout the top of each pan, and to allow some of the released apple juices to mix with the crumble topping.

Bake for 45 minutes at 350, then sprinkle brown sugar on top of the hot crumble. Broil for 3 minutes until the sugar caramelizeson the crust. Remove from the oven and cool on the counter. Serve warm with vanilla bean ice cream on top.

I do not have any photos of the scoops of crumble being served. I was too completely involved with putting the dessert into my mouth to be bothered with taking pictures. Even for the blog. I inhaled this and it was so incredibly delicious that the kids wanted it again for breakfast. I saved a few cups of the apples with crumble, and stirred it into their GF oatmeal, and that was recycling at its finest.

No comments:

Blog Archive

The older crowd

The older crowd
Amanda and Mitchell

A blast from the past...makes it all so real now

counter