Saturday, September 3, 2011

Ballet Day, Ballet Night

I spent the entire day and into the night, influenced by ballerinas. It was a serene way to pass time inside the Ohio Bureau of Vehicles and an even more relaxing way to get familiar with the new Scioto Mile and Bicentennial Park downtown.

While the triplets were at kindergarten, Charlotte and I took Argenida to get her Ohio drivers license. This can be summed up best by saying, I went to Hell and I knew it would be hot, but I did not realize it was going to be THAT bad. It was literally 102 degrees when we entered the building. When you combine a few hundred sweaty people into a small room, it is not pleasant. When all of these folks are hot, irritated, and subjected to various tests, the stress level compounds making even the most tolerant individual a raving lunatic.

I refused to subject Charlotte to that kind of situation. There were people cussing about the "effing line" the effing proof of identification, blah, blah, blah and there were wanna be rappers listening to profane lyrics on their i-pods. It was all so loud that I could hear every four letter word streaming from their ear buds. It was not good, not good at all.

To buffer the delicate ears of my child, I took her into the formal lobby of the building where we sat and watched you tube videos on my i-phone. When that got boring, I suggested Charlotte call Nana. She did. After that, Charlotte read the driving handbook to herself, in Spanish. Finally, Charlotte found her target audience. She did ballet to entertain all the other people in the lobby.

Her twirling and prancing was inspired by ballet and she took bows, and accepted her applause accordingly.

It was fitting that later in the evening, Jeff and I had the extreme pleasure of watching the Columbus Ballet debut at the newly opened facility along the Scioto River. This was not just any ballet troupe, this was Ballet Met, with Jeff's cousin Beila Ungar

making her first appearance as a professional ballerina.

We sat with the whole family


from Maryland, Cincinnati and NYC as we cheered for our girl. The aunts, uncles, cousins, sister and brother alond with proud parents and grandparents were there to see Beila. Having our very own ballerina made our night out even more fun.

It is not often that I get this much quality entertainment in my life. Who needs to watch So you think you can dance on television, when you can get this kind of pure joy in real life? Ballet all day, ballet all night. Life is good.

No comments:

Blog Archive

The older crowd

The older crowd
Amanda and Mitchell

A blast from the past...makes it all so real now

counter