Friday, August 5, 2011

Unbelievable Gluten Free Lemon Bars

One of my all time favorite summer desserts....LEMON BARS. I adore the buttery shortbread crust covered in super tart lemon curd dusted with powdered sugar. The sticky, sweet, tart and chewy combo is perfection.

Since I am now doing this gluten free thing full time, I have experimented with baking my most favorite dessert recipes- lemon bars included.

I discovered Bob's Red Mill has a gluten free shortbread cookie mix. When I saw it at Big Lots, I snagged a few bags with the notion that if I added enough real butter to the mix, I could totally use it as a crust base for some tasty summer lemon bars. This recipe uses the shortbread cookie mix and is a slam dunk home run for summer parties.

These are simple to make and will freeze well when cut into squares and wrapped accordingly.

For the Crust:
1 package Bob's Red Mill shortbread cookie mix]
1 1/2 sticks of unsalted real butter (room temp)
1 egg yolk
3T cold water


For the filling:
6 extra-large eggs at room temperature
3 cups granulated sugar
2 tablespoons grated lemon zest (4 to 6 lemons)
1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 cup GF Nearly Normal flour
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Spray 9x12 baking pan with PAM.

Add cookie mix and butter to a large mixing bowl and blend until combined. Add yolk and water and pulse until blended and crumbly. Gather the crumbs and press together to form a soft dough ball. Divide into hunks and press into the sprayed pan to form a layer about 1/2" thick all around and slightly up the sides of the pan. Bake for 12 minutes while making the filling.

Zest the lemons using a tool that does not remove the white pith but only the yellow skin. Mine makes shards of zest rather than grated pieces, so I used a stick blender to chop up the zest into the fresh squeezed juice and I set that mixture aside for the following step. I also suggest juicing the lemons over a fine mesh strainer to catch all the seeds.

For the filling, whisk together
the eggs, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and flour. Immediately pour over the under baked but piping hot crust and bake for an additional 30 to 35 minutes, until the filling is set. Let cool to room temperature then cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.

Cut into squares using a sharp knife. Plate themand dust with confectioners' sugar or in my case, I got all fancy and decorated the pieces with a mint leaf
and fresh blackberry for garnish.

These taste so refreshing and scrumptious. The key to the crust is the real butter, freshly zested and squeezed lemon juice. I double dog dare you to make these without eating half the pan by yourself.

This recipe will be devoured by everyone- no one will even suspect they are gluten free. These are unbelievably gluten free.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didn't even know that BRM made a GF shortbread cookie mix. I ususally ignore their stuff since I really haven't liked most of it. I'll check it out today though when I head to Big Lots. Thanks! They looked yummy!
-S

Anonymous said...

Looks good! What kind of refrigerator do you have? Since you need to refrigerate overnight I was wondering what was big enough for your clan. Do you have a second refrigerator.

Blog Archive

The older crowd

The older crowd
Amanda and Mitchell

A blast from the past...makes it all so real now

counter