I have been figuring out ways to get creative with dinner this summer. As much as I love to cook, there are nights when I just want to sit and enjoy the meal, rather than prepare, serve, and clean it up. This is the reason I invented TACO TUESDAY.
Last night, I introduced the kids to the concept of a family made meal. I gave all the kids tasks and they set up a toppings bar on the kitchen table. I prepared the fiesta rice, defrosted the salsa chicken pieces, and threw together a delicious meal with the help of the mini chefs.
CJ made the guacamole. I peeled the avocados and chopped the onion- he mashed it all together
and squeezed the lime juice into the bowl, while I chopped a jalapeno pepper and garlic. After he had thoroughly mixed the guacamole, he tasted it, and said, "WOW, guys, it is so good, it is better than Chipotle."
The other kids were busy setting the table
and pouring the ingredients into bowls. We had sour cream, refried beans, chicken, guacamole, fiesta rice, cheese, and salsa to add to either taco shells or blue corn chips.
Since Taco Tuesday involved the kids in the making of the meal, they ate it
like it was going out of style. Instead of just having boring tacos, we celebrated TACO TUESDAY like it was a really big deal. Now that I have a meal they can assist me with, Taco Tuesday is a weekly staple in our diet.
Note to kids- the famous, heirloom, family secret, salsa chicken recipe is this: 15 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless) and one jar of medium heat salsa in the crock pot on low all day. When it cools, I chopped it and stored it in the freezer for the famous Taco Tuesday.
- 10 Layer Gluten Free Cake
- Kindergarten, Take Two with My Three
- The Official End of Summer
- Apple Picking Year After Year
- National Banana Split Day
- Two Down, Four to Go
- Green Pepper Relish
- Our AHA! moments
- A request for Quiche
- A Peck of Peppers Please
- All I Want For Labor Day is My Two Front Teeth
- Lessons in Cesareans and Circumcisions
- The Dog Days of Summer
- My Columbus Zoo Guides
- The Dental Drama Continues
- Invasion of Indianapolis
- Throwing Caution to the Wind
- Jason's Deli is CJ friendly
- Taco Tuesday
- The Real Housewives of Central Ohio
- The Uncle Silvan Situation
- Unbelievable Gluten Free Lemon Bars
- Blackberry Picking Palooza
- Toothless Tuesday leads to WTF Wednesday
- Toothless Tuesday
- The Best Part
- ▼ August (28)
- ► 2010 (313)
- ► 2009 (345)
- ► 2008 (221)