Sunday, September 4, 2011

Pesto Perfecto

I have been meaning to post this amazing recipe, but with all the craziness that is my personal life these days, the blog has been put on the shelf with various other tasks, or maybe like this pesto, it is frozen in time. For a little while, anyway.

So last week, when I took the kids to Lynd's to pick Gala Apples, one of the guys came over to let us try some of the big daddy peaches


they had featured in the tent sale. After trying these orgasmic, enormous peaches, we picked gala apples and then stopped by the tent sale. I bought the kitchen sink, big daddy peaches (you have to eat them over the kitchen sink, lest your floor will be sticky from peach juice drippings) and a gob of fresh basil.

I am not sure how much basil I really bought, because it was sold in tethered bunches, not by weight. When I saw these massive bales of basil for $2 a piece, I was giddy. Seriously, I was scheming and plotting my pesto making mode right then and there. I cleared my schedule for the rest of the afternoon, as I prepared to go into a serious culinary coma.

I filled the van, kitchen and whole house with the overwhelming scent of fresh basil. It smelled so good before I even made the pesto sauce, but when you factor in the aroma of fresh garlic and pine nuts, it was too much. The kids were demanding to know when the pesto sauce would be ready, they could not wait!

Here is the single use recipe that I multiplied like 150 times to make enough pesto sauce to last a year(?)and to use up my current inventory of basil leaves. You can just make in double or triple batches, to adjust the ingredients to the size of your food processor and supply of the ingredients. FYI--I am in serious need of a larger and more commercial grade food processor, hint, hint, Jeff my honey. I know you read the blog when you try to get caught up on the drama you miss when you are at the office working.

Ingredients:

2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano or Romano cheese
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup pine nuts or walnuts
3 medium sized garlic cloves, minced

Wash, rinse, drain and paper towel dry the basil. Remove the leaves from the stems and set aside.
The stalks can be discarded. Assemble the food processor with a medium blade and pulse together the basil until well chopped. Add the garlic and pulse to combine, then add the olive oil in a stream while the blade is turned to the "on" mode. Once the oil is incorporated, add the pine nuts until well mixed and smooth.Pulse in the shredded Parmesan cheese until you can no longer see it in the sauce. Scrape and pour the pesto into clean jarsor an ice cube tray and seal, and freeze until ready to use. I prefer to add a little more olive oil on top of the pesto
before sealing it in the jar, this keeps the sauce from freezer burn.

Making this in mass quantity is so satisfying. Just looking at the jars of frozen pesto in my freezer is making me happy. I know that in about the time it takes to boil water and prepare pasta, I can have a have a hearty, delicious meal ready- which in my world is pesto perfecto!

No comments:

Blog Archive

The older crowd

The older crowd
Amanda and Mitchell

A blast from the past...makes it all so real now

counter