Saturday, August 20, 2011

A Peck of Peppers Please

I got an e-mail late last night from my friend Andy at Lynd's fruit farm in Pataskala. His green pepper crop has come in full force and because there is a huge supply, he needed some demand. I got up early, drove to the tent and purchased 56 green peppers because they were 7 for $1.00
and HUGE. I took this farm stand photo after I had selected my stash, and another early bird had already bagged 70 for pepper-onion relish. Seven for a dollar- oh yeah, I was all over that action!

As I updated my status on facebook, with this photo my friends chimed in with cheers and praise for my gardening talent. I had to fess up that I was not Martha Stewart, but Martha Jew-wert, and that I bought the peppers on sale.

I did promise to share all the glorious details of the plethora of stuffed peppers that were being made, after I logged off of facebook and had some time alone in the kitchen. With a spot in the freezer, I was ready to multi-task for meals to be eaten later.

Here are the step by step directions and recipe to make delicious gluten free stuffed peppers for batch cooking or bulk cooking. If you plan to freeze these use foil catering pans to make your life easier.

Ingredients:




6-8 green bell peppers, tops cut away (save to chop for filling)
and seeds removed until hollow shell of peppers are left
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet red onions
1/2 cup very finely chopped green bell peppers
2 pounds ground sirloin 92/8
1 lg clove fresh garlic-minced
1/4 cup snipped fresh parsley leaves
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Pinch red pepper flakes
2 cups cooked brown rice
8 ounces tomato sauce
1 cup sweet chili sauce
Water
Optional: Parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Prep the peppers as stated above by cropping the tops, seeding and hollowing out.


In a large pot of boiling water, parboil the peppers until just tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and dry upside down on paper towels.

In a large saute pan or skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and chopped bell pepper tops and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the beef,
garlic, parsley, salt, black pepper, and pepper flakes. Cook until the meat is browned, stirring with a heavy wooden spoon to break up the lumps, about 6 minutes. Drain off the excess fat by tilting the pan into the sink. Then when most of the fat has been removed- set aside.

In the largest mixing bowl you have, add the cooked rice and tomato sauce, chili sauce and stir well to make a ricey sauce.
Stir in the meat mixture in stages to combine. Adjust the seasoning and heat level, to taste. I usually add a more pepper flakes at this point. You can add parmesan cheese if desired.

Using foil catering pans, line up the par-boiled peppers. I fit six in a tray since we eat about six at a meal.
Stuff the bell peppers with the rice-beef mixture and gently pack them until filled. Cover with two layers of aluminum foil, labeland freeze at this point, or if eating them that night, place the uncovered catering pan back in the 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes to reheat through and to further cook the peppers. If you want to decorate them all fancy you can pipe some mashed potatoes on the tops and dust with parmesan cheese, then broil the tops for a few minutes to a light golden brown.

Remove from the oven and let rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.

Tonight we served these



with an ear of fresh sweet corn and a salt lick baked potato. The kids love the individual portions in their own green pepper. It is a novelty to them to eat it right from the container.

When freezing these, just reheat in a 350 degree oven until they are hot all the way through.

This is my latest recipe for the triplet sister wives cookbook which is currently being shopped by publishers. April, Michele and I will be combining forces to conquer large family cooking on a dime. Stay tuned for more details.

For now, this Martha Jew-ert is off to pick a peck of Pratesi sheets. Stuffing so many peppers has me pooped!

6 comments:

Michele S said...

Absolutely awesome!!!!

Michele S said...

I loved that you used Trader's chili sauce. That is a staple at my house.

ree said...

I need to try this! Can you tell me though, is there water in the bottom of the baking pan or do you just put the peppers directly into the pan???

Thanks!

Helene Eichenwald Slutsky said...

Ree- I just throw them in the foil pan without any water, since the filling is basically cooked, the additional bake time is for heating and further softening the peppers.

Charlie said...

Yum. Definitely going to try this recipe this week.

ree said...

Thanks! this will be dinner tonight!

Blog Archive

The older crowd

The older crowd
Amanda and Mitchell

A blast from the past...makes it all so real now

counter