Friday, August 26, 2011

National Banana Split Day

Despite all the departure drama yesterday, the kids and I found time to celebrate a National holiday. Little did I know when I checked them into the Activity Center at the Market District, it was actually National Banana Split day. I thought it was going to be coupon clipping, sale circular, business as usual.

Okay, so with Americans as the fattest nation on the planet, we need a holiday to recognize novelty ice cream sundaes? I was completely caught off guard. I had to pause and digest (pun intended) that information. Don't misunderstand me, I am all for celebrating holidays that include getting gifts and eating desserts. I just did not know that National Banana Split day was even existed, yet alone was recognized outside of say, Baskin Robbins or Cold Stone Creamery.

At the Market District, the children that had good behavior while playing in the activity center were given a certificate for a free banana split. When you have four kids, chances are they rarely, if ever get their own ice cream in public. Buying four individual servings is expensive- compared to buying a half a gallon of ice cream at the store. Even when we "go out" for ice cream I buy a ginormous size, and we share. Needless to say, having a voucher for your own anything is very cool to four triplets.

I paraded my freak show through the store, and to the sweet shop where the gelato is made. The kids posed for a photo holding their prized possession banana split cards, and they each redeemed them accordingly. As they stood waiting for their treat, they were tempted to touch freshly made chocolates, salt water taffy, and all kinds of fancy candies. The glass display case filled with delicate sweets was more than they could just stand to see. I must have said, "Look with your eyes" four hundred times in the span of about two and a half minutes.

Forgive me for looking a gift horse in the mouth, but don't banana splits usually have bananas in them? I know, I know, beggars can't be choosers, but in this case, this was my children's first real banana split and I did not know how to explain why it was called a banana split. These were ice cream scoops with a cookie and a cherry-


except for CJ, who had ice cream without a gluten cookie wafer and a red dye infused fake cherry. The banana split was sans bananas. As I micro-managed four small hands working the cups and spoons, I was just glad these were free.

I guess I will mark this on the blog for posterity. Next year, at this time, I would not want to forgot such a milestone event. When National Banana Split day means free ice cream, I am not one to say no. Next year though, they better include the bananas.

2 comments:

Nothing shocks me anymore... said...

At least the coupon did not lie.. it never said you got a banana split.. it read mini cookie sundae! Too funny!

Helene Eichenwald Slutsky said...

I know- weird right? On National banana split day you should eat banana splits- lord knows on National Vodka Martini day you don't just drink a margarita.

Potato, Po-tot-oh, but still, I had some splainin to do.

And yeah, I just invented National Martini day and it is celebrated all day on the first day the kids go back to school, so August 29- mark the calendar

Blog Archive

The older crowd

The older crowd
Amanda and Mitchell

A blast from the past...makes it all so real now

counter