Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Green Pepper Relish

I know the blog has been post after post of summer recipes- which is BORING. The fact of the matter is this: I have been batch cooking and storing the finest flavors of summer for when the Central Ohio winter is making me insane.

Besides the need to use up my mother-load of fresh produce, I am documenting the recipes for the kids when they get older and say, "Hey Mom, remember that relish you put on our sandwiches...how do you make that?" This blog is your legacy for embarrassing photos, recipes and stories of your youth. So listen up guys.

The rest of you can read along, or wait for a more exciting and thought provoking blog post. I completely understand.

However if you are bored, or have a shit load of green peppers (yes, they were HUGE and 7 for $1 back in 2011) to use, this may prove to be helpful.

Here is the recipe for a sweet-spicy pepper relish that can be spread on sandwiches or used on, hot dogs (GASP!)and brats. This is a cinch to make, it just takes time to process the peppers and onions- if you have a large food processor you are good to go, mine is small, and it was time consuming because of the lack of capacity.

Also, I use freezer bags to store this because I do not have the canning talent, yet. I am waiting for Michele or April to teach me her secrets to canning without botulism, so until then, once my relish was cooled, I froze it in 2 cup portions inside the bags.
Ingredients:

24 med. green peppers, cored and seeded
12 sweet yellow Vidalia onions
3 c. sugar
3 c. distilled vinegar
2 tbsp. salt
2 tbsp. celery seed
2 tbsp. mustard seed
2 tbsp. crushed red pepper flakes

Put green peppers and onions through medium blade
of the food processor. Drain in a fine mesh colander over a bowl and remove as much liquid as possible by shaking,


stirring and pressing the pepper and onion guts along the sides. Put the dry pulp of the pepper-onion mixture in large pot. Add remainingingredients. Bring to a boil; cook over very low heat for 40 minutes, covered with a tight lid, stirring occasionally. Pour into hot sterilized jars and seal. Process 10 minutes.

Makes 13 (1/2 pints) or you can wuss out and freeze it like I did.

This is spicy, sweet and tastes better than pickle relish. I use it on turkey sandwiches and will probably add it to coleslaw and our toppings bar for baked potatoes.

It is the ultimate recipe to use up an inventory of peppers and onions. Perhaps this winter when I am craving a taste of summer, I can defrost a pouch and recall how sweet it is to make green pepper relish.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Ball's website has some good tips for canning. I have only ventured into tomatoes though. And now all my plants are smashed from the storms we had. And my peppers are all micro premie peppers.

Blog Archive

The older crowd

The older crowd
Amanda and Mitchell

A blast from the past...makes it all so real now

counter