Sunday, July 17, 2011

Farmers Market Plus Blueberry Patch = Baking

After scoring a few big ol' buckets of blueberries at the patch, and several zucchini squash from the New Albany Farmer's Market, I was in the mood to bake. Sure, it is like 95 degrees outside, but in the evening, after many little people are sleeping, I find baking therapeutic. Have I mentioned that the scent of baked goods gets Jeff all lovey dovey?

I decided to make zucchini bread loaves and I experimented with Paula Deen's recipe. I substituted my Nearly Normal GF flour, added blueberries and lemon zest shards, doubled the amount of cinnamon she suggested and hoped my changes would be edible.

Here is the recipe after I tweaked it.

Ingredients

3 1/4 cups Nearly Normal GF flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup water
2 cups grated zucchini
1 teaspoon lemon juice
coarse zest of one lemon
2-3 cups blueberries or more if desired

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line the loaf pans with parchment paper so that the moist and often juicy bread with come out from the pans clean.
I actually taped mine so that when I poured the batter into the loaf pan it stayed put. I also sprayed a muffin tin with Pam so I could make muffins for the kids.

In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, nutmeg, baking soda, cinnamon and sugar. In a separate bowl,combine oil, eggs, water and lemon juice. Add zucchini shreds


and incorporate to a wet mixture. Mix wet ingredients into dry, add lemon zest
and berries to fold in.

Pour into loaf pans and fill to just below the rim leaving about 1/2" of space. With the gf flour this does not rise very much and makes a really dense, moist cake like bread. Spoon any leftover batter into muffin tins.

Bake loaves for 1 hour 15 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.Cool on counter for 30 minutes, then gently use a knife to loosen the edges of the bread. Lift carefully out of the loaf pans by pulling up the parchment paper. Cool on paper over a wire rack. When cool, wrap in foil or saran wrap to seal it. Keep in fridge or freezer until ready to consume it.

I slice this into 1/2 inch thick pieces and serve it for breakfast. My tweaking was right on, as I left the muffinson the counter for morning. By the time I brushed my teeth and met the kids downstairs, all of the 12 muffins were gone. GONE.

No comments:

Blog Archive

The older crowd

The older crowd
Amanda and Mitchell

A blast from the past...makes it all so real now

counter