Wednesday, May 11, 2011

You Get What You Pay For Dear

Last week, when Jeff fired the lawn service, I predicted there would be landscape drama in my future. I knew that this was a bad, bad, bad idea. As a supportive and loving wife (sarcasm?) I bit my tongue, smiled and encouraged my husband to follow his dream of mowing our grass and saving us a small fortune.

Just a mere week ago, after a month of constant rain, our lawn was lush and bright green with patches of dandelions. So long as you cut the grass bi-weekly the pesky yellow blooms are hardly noticeable. Aside from being un-neighborly, dandelion growth is not that big of a deal.

As a time saving measure, and an alternative to mowing more often, Jeff decided to self treat the grass with some kind of toxic pesticide from Home Depot. I was against this on many levels, especially since our kids and dogs romp around on a daily basis. I did not feel Jeff was even qualified to chose the correct product, yet alone, do an application.

Here is a photo of the lawn a week ago when I captured the new mower for the blog. You will notice a sea of bright green,
lush grass and a few dandelions. In the grand scheme of things, it looked quite nice. Here is the lawn today,

after Jeff decided to kill the dandelions. A lawn service would have known how to apply the chemicals, or at the very least, would have read the frigging instructions before spraying the shit all over the place. It turns out the product should have been applied by diluting the spray 6 to 1. Translation: 6 parts WATER, one part, nasty chemical pesticide. In other words, Jeff killed the grass along with the dandelions.

Fortunately, since he did not mix the spray with water, he ran out of poison before he did about half of the lawn. Lawn half killed or lawn half alive, you decide?

This is my ever so pleasant way (sarcasm) of looking at the bright side of the situation.

Let me put this in a less than delicate way that only my sweet, wonderful husband should understand: YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR in the service industry. This is the exact reason meeting planners hire professional speakers for their events. CAPICE?

If you learn anything about life and Jeff Slutsky from this blog, know this. You get what you pay for.

We were scheduled to break even on the cost of the mower in a few weeks. Anyone wanna wager how long before I fire Jeff and hire the service back?

2 comments:

Michele S said...

Ohmygosh! I am laughing so hard. Can you imagine if I asked Jeff to go rip a head off of one of my chickens and gut it?

Helene Eichenwald Slutsky said...

Michele dear, I can't even get Jeff to buy chicken at the grocery store. You must be high.

Blog Archive

The older crowd

The older crowd
Amanda and Mitchell

A blast from the past...makes it all so real now

counter