Sunday, May 22, 2011

Live Like You Are Dying

Jeff and I decided to spend the day of the rapture as if we were dying. We lived like we were dying not because we thought we were, but rather, because we could.

We chose to be responsible with our last day. Rather than charging our credit cards to the max, making careless decisions and acting like fools, we celebrated a fun filled Saturday in Fort Wayne with Uncle Silvan. Clearly we did not buy all the hype of the rapture because do you really think my dying wish was to see Fort Wayne one last time. I think not.

We slept in, skipped breakfast and rolled those calories into our lunch at La Margaritas. This is our must have food of choice when visiting Silvan. Famous for blue margaritas
and these killer handmade nachos, this place is a great restaurant in a bad neighborhood.

After lunch we headed to Target so I could snatch up some of the clearance sandals by Miss Trish of Capri. I did this last year and the selection in Fort Wayne was stellar. This time they had more in Natalie's size, but I still managed to find a few pairs of these stylish and embellished shoes.

I treated myself to a Venti latte from the Starbucks inside the store. I ordered a grande without the heat protection sleeve but the barrista upsold me into a Venti seeing as how the world was coming to an end in a few hours. I slipped my custom reusable sleeve
onto the cup and we were good to go. BTW, I bought this photo coffee sleeve at Carribou Coffee and I love it. I keep it in my purse and reuse it often to draw attention away from my gas station cheap-a-chinos. Is it tacky to put a Carribou Coffee product on a non Carribou cup?

I was looking for some teacher and graduation gifts so we cruised over to TJ Maxx. Silvan and Jeff hung out and shopped while I did my magic. I spent thirty minutes trying to make something happen and I left without making a single purchase. Jeff joked that the world really must be ending if I walked out empty handed. The sign of Armageddon is when Helene vacates a retail establishment without buying anything.

After exhausting the men folk, we went back to Silvan's bachelor pad for a proper nap. I felt like I had died and gone to heaven, but alas, it was dinner time. We met Uncle Marvin for dinner and I was seated at a table with three nice Jewish men on a Saturday night. Clearly this was my own personal sign of the Armageddon. We all enjoyed a beautiful evening and topped it off with an hour long Skype call to Silvan's dad in Florida.

We waited until 6:00 p.m. Pacific time to be certain we survived the rapture. It was late on a Saturday night in Fort Wayne but it was a party.

I lived to tell you about the day we lived like we were dying.

2 comments:

The Wright Trips said...

We were in the fort on Saturday as well. My inlaws live up there & their neighborhood rummage was this weekend. The kids & I went up on Thursday & Nate drove up on Friday after work. Which TJ Maxx did you go to? I think the one by the Best Buy & Old Navy seems very dirty and I never seem to find anything.

Anywho...looks like your drinks & dinner was good. I'll have to find out where you went so the hubby & I can have a date night next time.

Helene Eichenwald Slutsky said...

I was at the TJ Maxx near Coldwater I think.... the restaurant is La Margarita 2713 South Calhoun Street- a must do.
Say hello to Leo for me, and order nachos with a blue margarita, yummmmmm

Blog Archive

The older crowd

The older crowd
Amanda and Mitchell

A blast from the past...makes it all so real now

counter