Last year, Scott McKain wrote a blog post titled, When imitation isn't flattery, it's theft. I was reminded of this today as our good friend, Larry Winget is fighting his own intellectual property battles.
CJ must have overheard me discussing this because he listens and retains everything. A few moments later, CJ brought me an "original" CJ Slutsky piece of artwork. He was beaming with pride, and shouted, "Look Mommie, I copied Larry Winget too!" And he most certainly did.
In this case, CJ simply mimicked a painting that Larry made for us as a wedding gift. CJ's version is his take on the same style and idea, but made from his own hands and thoughts.
CJ was truly inspired by the works of Larry. He did not word for word reprint a chapter of one of Larry's best sellers. Doing that is theft, among other things.
So, as our friend has been wronged and is mad as a hornet's nest, I can sympathize. I understand that when imitation isn't flattery, it's theft- Scott McKain said it first, and I am one to give credit where credit is rightfully due.
Here's to being inspired by someone, creating something original and giving credit where credit is due. No one can ever accuse me of plagiarizing on this blog- who in their right mind would make this shit up?
CJ Slutsky and his masterpiece prove that imitation can be flattering when properly done.
- Cost Cutting, Grass Cutting Measures
- Gas Prices at an all time HIGH
- Nine Years Ago
- Good Old Fashioned Fun
- Passover is OVER!
- Five Years Ago Today
- The Photo Umbrella
- Run Like The Wind
- Passover Patience
- If you need to flush $6400 down the crapper...
- Imitation can be flattering
- Grandparenting Goodness Gone Bad
- The Seder
- Simon Says it is time to make Macaroons
- The Secret is Out- GEE DUBYA
- Extreme Couponing FAIL
- Our Preschool Picasso Strikes Again
- In the Wee Wee Hours of the Morning
- Bragging Rights
- A Lesson in Age
- Passover Pork on Sale
- Old Softie
- Writing From the Heart
- Computer Drama
- I am so screwed!
- Further PROOF of my love for Giant Eagle
- A Lesson in Keeping Kosher, by Natalie
- A Lesson in Circumcision by Eli
- The Winners
- ▼ April (29)
- ► 2010 (313)
- ► 2009 (345)
- ► 2008 (221)