Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Good Old Fashioned Fun

Charlotte and I went on a field trip with her school. Despite the gloomy skies and horrid forecast, we went to Slate Run Historical Farm. This is a real working farm that showcases life in the late 1800's complete with all the authentic, pre-electricity ways.

It was a good old fashioned time.

We had been to Slate Run before, but I am sure Charlotte enjoyed it more with her classmates and now that she is older.



The place does not change, it is a time warp of farm life in Ohio.

The entire time I was singing in my head, "New York is where I'd rather stay. I get allergic smelling hay. I just adore a penthouse view. Dah-ling I love you but give me Park Avenue." Basic farm life is not my thing, but this was Charlotte's trip and I was just there to provide the ride. Being a parent means sucking it up and going with the flow, even if it is not your style. But, oh my gawd, the hideous calico printed dresses on the ladies made me wonder what would I have worn back then. Never one to go with a plain jane style, how would I have fancied it up? For crying out loud, Coco Chanel was not even born yet. It was freaking me out. I know I am shallow, but seriously, those frocks were beyong schmatahs.

We left the kitchen and headed to the big red barn just as the storm moved in.



We lingered with the farmers and barn animals as it poured down sheets of rain. This gave the kids a longer opportunity to enjoy the place.

I thought the dresses were hideous. It was nothing compared to the stench of the pig pen. All the rain this week just soaked the pigs, piglets, mud, urine, feces and slop and kept it all gooey and "ripe." The wind kept wafting the odor into my sinuses and at one point I had dry heaves.

Yes, I like bacon- but after being around those creatures for ten seconds, I was ready to go vegan. Charlotte said it best- "Momma, those piggies are DEEEE-SKUT-STING!"

As you can imagine, after yet more rain, the walk back toward the farmhouse was a muddy mess, but none of the children seemed to mind. We all dressed for the element knowing it was a farm field trip during a wet week in Ohio. All of the kids had the cutest rain boots. You will not see any photos of me in my garden clogs and mud crusted track suit. I will spare you the details. Suffice it to say, the calico dresses were a close second place to my ensemble. When in Rome people. No glass houses here, just keeping it real.

I embraced the good old fashioned fun, and I encouraged Charlotte to enjoy the giant puddles. It is not often that you are allowed to splash and play in muddy rain water, so this girly girl got her groove on.



In the spirit of being educational, Charlotte learned how the children of the 1890's played before televisions, video games and computers while I learned how women dressed before couture and imported fabrics.

Sometimes, the simple things are best. Some times.

It was a day full of good old fashioned fun all right.

No comments:

Blog Archive

The older crowd

The older crowd
Amanda and Mitchell

A blast from the past...makes it all so real now

counter