Friday, February 4, 2011

My Name is Helen and I play Snoopy Drawers

When I was a little girl, Grandma taught me to play a game she invented. Aptly named, "snoopy drawers" this game allowed me to select any drawer in her house, and when she opened it, I got to pick an item to keep. I rummaged through the drawer, investigated the contents and selected a prize.

I would like to think that I knew the good stuff from the junk even back then. I have always loved vintage clothing, accessories and baubles. I saw value in the stuff and considered it collectible. After years of playing snoopy drawers I had a nice assortment of rhinestone cat eye sunglasses, vintage handkerchiefs, lucite purses, and various other prized possessions.

It is fun to mix old with new. I have been wearing vintage long before it was considered cool. Some of my all time favorite fashion statements are recycled from years past. While many items came from Grandma's stash, I have also managed to find bits and pieces at flea markets, thrift shops and vintage clothing boutiques. Nothing says fabulous more than vintage designer labels and collectible pieces of fashion history.

When my friend Beverly invited me to attend the Manhattan Vintage Clothing Show I was so excited. Jeff and I were going to be in New York anyway, so it was an opportunity I could not pass up. I painstakingly planned my own wardrobe for the trip utilizing some of my favorite finds. I brought along Grandma's lucite bag, a chunky 1950's matching necklace and my cashmere cardigan with lucite button closure. I was decked for the day of vintage heaven! When in Rome, people. When in Rome.

As I lingered at each vendor, I longed for the days when I could play snoopy drawers. Back in the day, I scored some amazing merchandise for free. You can kiss those days good bye, at the Manhattan Vintage clothing show, there were no bargains. With vintage clothing and accessories, you get what you pay for in the retail world. It made me long for the Sunday afternoons of thrifting and stumbling upon gems for pennies on the dollar.

I spent a good portion of the day among vintage Pucci, Gucci,


Chanel, Leonard-Paris, Hermes and Dior, OH MY. There were racks and racks of lovelies. There were cases and cases of cuties. Piles and Piles of Purses,
I could have died. I was a kid in a candy store, for sure!

Beverly found a pair of cowboy boots from her very first shoe collection. These Matisse inspired boots were in perfect condition, and Beverly Feldman herself signed them right then and there to add value for the dealer. How cool is that?

While in my element, I spoke with Dave Karlin, the reporter from CBS in New York. We bonded over Grandma's lucite bag and the thought of playing snoopy drawers. Here is a clip from the interview that appeared on the CBS evening News on Friday in New York, in case you missed it.

Live from the Manhattan Vintage Clothing show in Chelsea,
My name is Helen, and I play snoopy drawers!

No comments:

Blog Archive

The older crowd

The older crowd
Amanda and Mitchell

A blast from the past...makes it all so real now

counter