Friday, February 25, 2011

La Leche Dulce de Leche from Baby Gaga

My favorite dessert treat has always been ice cream. I have never met a flavor I did not enjoy. Rum Raisin, Chocolate Almond, Dulce de Leche, and anything from Jeni's work for me. Some might even suggest that ice cream is like sex, even the bad kind is still good.

Maybe not.

I just read the following article about a new ice cream made from breast milk. I have included the link here, but since no one ever clicks through, I have cut and pasted the story too.

A restaurant in London is selling ice cream made with breast milk donated by a British mom to make the "totally natural" treat.
The Icecreamists parlor is pricing the new flavor, which is named "Baby Gaga", at 14 pounds ($23). The new recipe blends the breast milk with Madagascan vanilla pods and lemon zest, which is then freshly churned into ice cream.

Victoria Hiley, 35, a mother-of-one from Leeds donated a liter of her breast milk to Icecreamists, after seeing an advertisement on parenting Web site Mumsnet.
"What's the harm in using my assets for a bit of extra cash?," British newspaper Metro quoted Hiley as saying. "There’s nothing more natural than fresh mother’s milk". Victoria works with women who have problems breast feeding their babies.
The parlor pays 15 pounds for every 10 ounces of milk. Already 15 mothers have volunteered to donate their breast milk. To maintain the highest standards, health checks for each lactating woman were the same used by the UK's National Health Service to screen blood donors.

Icecreamists founder Matt O'Connor, 44, is confident his new ice cream will go down well with customers.



"No-one's done anything interesting with ice cream in the last hundred years," O'Connor said. "Some people will hear about it and go, 'yuck,' but actually it's pure, organic, free-range and totally natural."

"We want to change the way people think about ice cream," he adds.


I am so not even joking here!

While it would not be gluten free, unless the donor milk belonged to a gluten free mom, I still won't be trying it anytime soon. Maybe my Vegan readers can chime in, but I suspect that this will be a taboo tasting.

At first I read the "Baby Gaga" ice cream title and thought it was an ice cream made for infants. After further research I discovered that in fact, the dessert product is designed and sold to all consumers, of all ages. Ummmmm, Yeah, No thanks, aside from the fact that Southwest does not fly to London, I won't be trying this anytime soon.

For now, I will keep my friends Jeni, Ben and Jerry and Graeter's close at hand. The La Leche league can customize any flavors they want, and I will still fall back on my old stand-bys. I say no to La Leche League Dulce de Leche, that is how I roll!

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Not sure they can REALLY call it organic. At least not labeled organic by US dairy standards. I know what the dairy industry has to go through to claim their milk is organic, and I HIGHLY doubt they can find an all organic woman (includes all diet and all medications for at least 2 years)...

Even if they could claim organic... I ain't touching it!!! :)

Blog Archive

The older crowd

The older crowd
Amanda and Mitchell

A blast from the past...makes it all so real now

counter