In golf, there are do overs, called mulligans. In life, there are rarely these opportunities, unless you can talk your spouse into an annulment. The concept of starting over or doing something again, without penalty is lost in the real world.
Jeff and I have decided, with the help of the professionals at the CHANEL school, to give our triplets a kindergarten mulligan. In other words, we have chosen to hold them back from first grade, and give them another year of kindergarten. This choice is made for their ultimate benefit.
As parents we make choices with our childrens' best interests in mind. We knew going into this school year that this might be our option. The thought of them doing another year of preschool did not make sense, and they thrived with the added challenge that they got every day in Kindergarten.
I can honestly say that I had reservations about them being the youngest in their class by over 18 months. Here in Ohio, most kindergarten students are five and six when they begin the school year, some turn seven while in kindergarten. For us, we had to look ahead toward middle school and realize that at our current enrollment the triplets would be 18 months younger than their peers. We all know how maturity and puberty can reek havoc on teens, so imagine them 11 when their fellow classmates are 13 or older. Shudder.
Of course we worry about stigmas and stereotypes, but the reality is this: Now is the time to fine tune their basic fine motor skills and get a back to basics foundation for the future. Repeating kindergarten is no big whoop, whereas repeating 4th grade is embarrassing.
If ever you get a chance to master techniques and repeat the learning process, kindergarten is the time. This is our definition of a kindergarten mulligan. Play on.....FORE!
- The Ten Commandments of Parents
- Gluten Free Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookies
- Does the Tooth Fairy work on Shabbat?
- La Leche Dulce de Leche from Baby Gaga
- Fueling the Blog by Flying
- The Women(?) of Savers
- My Lady Luck
- Hakuna Matata
- VIVA VIVA VIVA, Las Vegas!
- Greeetings from 30,000 feet!
- Scootering and Picking Up Porcupine Poop
- Ackle Surgery
- We had a good run
- The Fancy Gluten Free Valentine's Meal
- Charlotte Celebrates Valentine's Day
- The Chase Bank Triplets Commercial
- The Valentine Craft-a-thon
- The Kindergarten Mulligan
- Valentine "V" Trends
- Wired Differently
- Coupon Drama
- Gluten Free Choices
- Brunch and Shopping
- Foreshadowing or Fate?
- My Name is Helen and I play Snoopy Drawers
- Here Today, Hair Tomorrow
- The Sounds of Silence Do Not Exist
- SNOW MY GAWD
- ▼ February (28)
- ► 2010 (313)
- ► 2009 (345)
- ► 2008 (221)