Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Fancy Gluten Free Valentine's Meal

With all the focus on Jewish learning during the school week, I felt the tug at my heart strings this year for Valentine's Day. Tug at the heart strings, ha ha ha. I'm hilarious. But really, I wanted to go all out, and I did.

I wanted to be sure the kids got a dose of the Non-Jewish celebrations too. For good measure, right? Ebony and Ivory. Ying and Yang. So, I made a few special treats for the whole family. I decorated our Valentine's dinner in a theme of sweet delights.

Introducing, Gluten Free Valentine Meatloaf Cupcakes, iced with mashed potatoes. These were super easy to do, looked and tasted amazing, but best of all, they were a healthy dinner that I was able to make in mass quantities for a meal to be named later.

Here is the recipe.
Ingredients


3 lbs ground sirloin 93/7
3 large eggs
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 bottle chili sauce
2T ketchup
1 red onion
2T Italian seasoning
salt-pepper to taste

Combine all the ingredients except the meat and rice into a pyrex mixing bowl. Use a stick blender
to combine and puree the onion into a sauce like, wet mixture, until smooth. Transfer the ground beef and rice into the liquid and smush together until incorporated. Press meatloaf mixture
into cupcake tins sprayed with Pam. Bake for 25 minutes at 350 or until cooked through.

Transfer to a plate and frost with mashed potatoes


and serve immediately, or freeze without potatoes. I served them with buttered peas and a garden salad with cranberry (pink) dressing.

Here is the photographic proof of the insane gobbling of dinner.



These kids were so excited to have meatloaf cupcakes that they squealed all through the meal.

Dinner itself was such a grand slam, that I could have skipped dessert. Fortunately for these underprivileged children, I had already gone all Martha Stewart earlier in the day.

For dessert, I used the ice cream cone shaped baking mold to create some gluten free chocolate cupcakes. Instead of topping these with a scoop of real ice cream, I just frosted them with a chocolate cream cheese style frosting and applied some sprinkles. OMG, these were the star of the show.

I used a cake mixand added some almond extract to the package directions, threw in some mini chocolate chips, and in 30 minutes these were fully baked and ready to cool. The frosting

and sprinkles made them look darling. The hand held shape of the cone made them easy to eat even with small hands. Very little cake or frosting was wasted, and the proof of the fun




was found on the chocolately moustaches. I must use these molds for a birthday party- totally bakery quality looking.

When these kids look back on the Valentine's day celebrations, they will have fond memories of their mother making meatloaf cupcakes. I think I will make this a family tradition.

Latkes on Hanukkah. Apples and Honey at Rosh Hashana. Meatloaf Cupcakes on Valentine's day. That is how this Jewish Mommie rolls.

No comments:

Blog Archive

The older crowd

The older crowd
Amanda and Mitchell

A blast from the past...makes it all so real now

counter