Thursday, January 27, 2011

Observations from Cold Stone

CJ got a $10 gift card to Cold Stone Creamery from the tooth fairy. I did this as a life lesson for him, but as it turns out, we can learn from the entire experience.

First, when CJ found the gift card under his pillow he was thrilled. He showed it to all the kids and everyone was totally jealous. I gave CJ a chance to do a mitzvah with his new found reward. I told him the card was worth ten dollars, and he could go to Cold Stone and buy himself a few scoops of ice cream, or he could use a coupon from Mommie's purse and buy all the kids a scoop of ice cream. Thankfully, he chose the latter and all that is wrong in the world became right.

I told CJ that he was sensitive, generous, and that sharing was a good deed. We talked endlessly about not being selfish and I used this as an example until I wanted to throw up a little in my own mouth. I milked this (pun intended) for an hour or so to get my point across to the others. Concept learning, a total success!

I just hope that the others paid enough attention to his kindness. They better return the favor when the tooth fairy brings them some love.

CJ paid for the ice cream with his card. We told the clerk how he lost a tooth and was sharing his tooth fairy present with his brother and sisters. By the time I was done preaching, she wanted to throw up too.

The kids sat and enjoyed their ice cream. CJ even got a topping on his, which I never do.

He felt really special and that was the point. It was an out of the norm indulgence.

Much like the mashed potatoes at dinner, he was able to squish the ice cream through the wide open toothless part of his gums. Ahhhh, the fun of being five.

As I was waltzing around Cold Stone, I saw a fishbowl drawing on the counter. Always one to pay attention to cross promotions and marketing, I took a closer look at the offer. I laughed out loud when I realized that a gym was giving away a trial membership to the winner. The sign should have said. "If you eat at Cold Stone all the time, you will need to get your fat ass to the gym!" Seriously, I guess they found the target audience for new members.

While we were there, I overheard a conversation from the chatty teen age girls next to us. They ordered some chocolate peanut butter milk shakes.As they were sipping them, they were teasing each other about the caloric content. Laughing and carrying on and on about the fat grams, I made a mental note to check their facts. I am disgusted and repulsed to say, these skinny girls were right. If they keep drinking these shakes, they won't be thin for long.

The peanut butter chocolate milk shake at Cold Stone has 2,010 calories -- equivalent to eating 68 strips of bacon or 30 chocolate chip cookies. It has indeed topped a list of the 20 worst drinks in America compiled by Men's Health magazine.

The Cold Stone PB&C milkshake, made with peanut butter, chocolate ice cream and milk, contains 68 grams of saturated fat and 153 grams of sugar, according to nutritional details on the company's website.

I guess if you are going to eat a days worth of calories with more sugar and fat than normal, this would be the way to go. Ewwwww, gross. Who wants to eat yet alone drink, 68 strips of bacon? And yes, I realize that you do not go to cold stone to stay on your diet, that is obvious. A health conscious individual would avoid or use portion control to satisfy the cravings. Knowledge is power when it comes to ordering food, and in this case, now you know.

So when the future holds more visits from the tooth fairy, that skinny bitch better find another merchant with available gift cards. The real lesson in sharing just got bigger. Literally.

1 comment:

Allison said...

I don't which is more shocking - that the milkshake has 2,010 calories or the fact that now I can pound ten strips of bacon or ten cookies and still feel pretty noble. I'll pass on the milkshake for sure now...

Blog Archive

The older crowd

The older crowd
Amanda and Mitchell

A blast from the past...makes it all so real now

counter