Sunday, January 30, 2011

Gluten Free Bisquick Berry Coffee Cake

Oh good lord, what has happened to me? When I am excited to find Gluten Free Bisquick at the local Giant Eagle, it means I need to get out more. You would think I found vintage Chanel or something.

Long gone are days of cosmos and couture. Sure, I miss it, but buying gluten free bisquick is right up there with Fendi and Prada. Shudder!

I brought the box home and realized, Gluten Free Bisquick is not at all like the regular kind. Normal bisquick contains the fat necessary to make baked goods. This revised formula requires that you add a fat like oil, shortening or butter to create the recipes. It kind of took the wind out of my sails because really, this just makes it a gluten free flour or pancake mix. But if it works, so be it.

Here is my attempt at gluten free mixed berry coffee cake with struesel topping.

Ingredients:


For Topping
1/3 cup gluten free bisquick
1/2 c packed brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/3 c firm butter

For Cake
1 3/4 cups gluten free bisquick
3T sugar
2/3 c milk
2 tsp vanilla
3 eggs
2 cups mixed berries (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 and generously spray a cake pan with Pam. In a small bowl combine the topping ingredients and cut in the cold butter to make crumbles. Set aside.

In a medium bowl combine all the cake ingredients until blended. Stir in berries if desired.
Spread batter into greased pan and top with cinnamon struesel.

Bake until golden brown and cooked through by the toothpick test.

Cool slightly and cut into pieces. Store remaining cake in an airtight ziploc or freeze.

This was a total hit with the kids. I made a point of mentioning that I made this recipe using the berries that they picked last summer. We talked about that while they were shoving hunks of coffee cake into their mouths. Then, CJ asked me if there was coffee inside the cake? I shook my head and said, "No, just berries and love." He asked me, "Why is it called coffee cake if it don't got coffee in it?" I laughed and told him that adults drink coffee when they eat this kind of cake. He replied, "No Fair!"

Enjoy!

No comments:

Blog Archive

The older crowd

The older crowd
Amanda and Mitchell

A blast from the past...makes it all so real now

counter