Saturday, January 1, 2011

The First Co-Pay of 2011

I have called my four little ones overachievers from day one. They try hard to excel at everything they do. I on the other hand try to do the bare minimum it takes to get by. In parenting, there is a happy middle ground, most days. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

For New Years Eve, Jeff and I planned to do absolutely nothing. We invited Uncle Silvan over, ate a gourmet feast and avoided leaving the house. No babysitter required, just us, kids in bed on time and adults left to watch movies and nosh until midnight. Perfection.

Our plans were glorious and were the ultimate in the anti- New Years Eve hype and spectacle. I kept saying how glad I was not to be on the roads with all the crazies. Home sweet home. Good food, good friends, good times.

Natalie decided to throw a wrench into my non-exciting evening. At 10:55 p.m. as I was just about to make my first Tito's martini of the night, I heard a faint whimpering cry from the girls' room. Upon opening the door I knew we were in trouble.

Any parent of a child with the croup can attest to the horrid, distinctive sound of the barky seal cough. When I got near Natalie she said, "Momma, I can breeve!" She was white as a ghost, and was gagging and struggling to get air. I scooped her up and took her outside to get some colder air. It was a balmy 56 degrees so that planned failed. I grabbed my purse, put on some shoes, buckled Natalie into her booster and headed to Children's Hospital with the windows down and the air conditioner cranked full blast.

By the time we arrived at the ER the windy cooler air had opened her airways a little bit. She was getting more air but was still satting way below normal. The cough was gut wrenching awful. They handed us a pager and Natalie sat in a wagon, barking and whining as we were waiting for our turn.

And yes, she sleeps with a bow in her hair, so when I rushed out the door in the middle of the night, she was already fully accessorized. For the record, I did not think she needed the fancy bow to go to the Emergency Room on New Years Eve. I am not that ridiculous.

In looking around the reception and waiting area,there was no way in hell I was going to stay inside until our pager was beeping and vibrating. We stood in the portico and avoided all the other parents and their puking, bleeding, sneezing, feverish and nasty germs. To help illustrate how grossly graphic it was, I could actually smell the vomit from the check in desk. SHUDDER!

I feared us leaving sicker than when we arrived. I kept bellowing, "Do not touch anything!" "Keep your hands on your pajamas!" I used sanitizer every 20 minutes and refused to even breathe the air coming from the waiting room. I gave Natalie the stink eye any time she even looked like she was moving inside the wagon. Poor Natalie said, "Mommie you are scary" and I was.

Once we went back into our exam room, we watched the clock

as we said goodbye to 2010. We had our own little countdown and celebration. The television showedcouples kissing, fireworks and parties and I was in the ER with Natalie as we rang in 2011. Happy New Year to me. FML. So much for the anti-climatic night of doing nada.

It was a New Years Eve FAIL.

Just as I suspected, Natalie has croup. It is frightening when your child is fighting for every breath. Thankfully, once she got the steroids she was less coughy and more perky. She got a popsicle and we headed home. So much for avoiding all the lunatics on the roads. I drove home from downtown at 1:00 a.m. with every idiot in town.

In addition to freaking the crap out of me, Natalie also earned the title of being the first Slutsky to generate a co-pay in 2011. On 1-1-11 at just after midnight, her admission to the ER at Children's Hospital won the title. This will be difficult to beat next year, she may hold the title for a long time. You have to really try to charge a co-pay that early in the calendar year.

In keeping with her ability to over achieve in all areas, Natalie had to be the first to work toward meeting our 2011 family deductible.

My happy middle ground includes a child who is fixed, and a memorable New Years Eve with a blog worthy story to tell her for years to come. May your 2011 be less eventful and filled with healthy moments that make memories.

3 comments:

Michele S said...

Happy New Year, Momma. Glad to hear Natalie is breathing all well. My New Year's prediction for the Slutsky family is a fully met deductible by MLK. WOOHOO!

Melanie said...

Next time it's warm out, stick her in front of the freezer for a little while. The cold air will help. Trey is our croup child and we've gotten to the point of doing that and going to urgent care or sick call in the morning for the steroid shot unless he's really really bad. And the third night is always the worst!
Good luck meeting the rest of your deductible! We have a $3k one and then another $3K to meet before everything is covered at 100%. My plan is to meet it before June. Somehow my over achievers will manage to accomplish it!

Helene Eichenwald Slutsky said...

She is fine but now Charlotte has the same shit.....ACCCKKKK.

Jeff and I would like just one night a week alone in our bed. One night without feverish hacking monkeys hogging space

Blog Archive

The older crowd

The older crowd
Amanda and Mitchell

A blast from the past...makes it all so real now

counter