Saturday, December 18, 2010

Five Years Ago

On December 18, 2005 Jeff and I hosted our family and friends for the triplets Brit Milah and Naming ceremony. The day was filled with emotion and excitement as we proudly embraced our Jewish heritage and tradition.

Looking back at the photos it is hard to believe these three peanuts were so small. When our guests commented on how tiny the babies were, I shrugged my shoulders and said they are more than twice the size they were at birth, so they look enormous to me. Oh how I meant that.

You have no idea how jaded I was at the time. I thought these guys looked BIG. To me they were, they were 77 days old, just over 5 lbs each, it was all relative at the time.

I was so busy taking the photos









and chatting up our guests, I did not have time to freak out about the drama of the actual goings on. Oh, and the valium got me through it. I was in the zone so to speak.

I made sure to get photos of the babies with our special guests. I wanted to capture how joyous and festive the day was- we were so proud of these miracles. I made sure to get the facial expressions of Mitchell and his friends.To me it was priceless. Nothing captures the moment of circumcision like these boys' faces. Oy vey already. You can't make this stuff up.

Natalie was named for my mother's father, Norbert Kellmer. Her name is Natalie Kate and she shares her initials with his, so my mom held Natalie during the service. Likewise, William Eli is named for my father's father, Walter Eichenwald, and Eli is W.E. for that reason. Papa was so proud to hold his grandson during the event. Jeff's mom, Charlotte was also of a blessed memory, and at the time Caleb James was our way of honoring Charlotte Jean. Mitchell volunteered to hold C.J. for the blessings, and agreed that Grandma Charlotte would have wanted it that way.

We had no idea that we would be lucky enough to honor Grandma Charlotte again, 19 months later with a girl. These special members of our family are aptly named for their ancestors. Each child has unique qualities that make our name choice ever so important. Each of our children have grown into their names and the history that they represent.

The days are long, but the weeks fly by. It is my daily mantra.

Five years ago today, seems like yesterday.

No comments:

Blog Archive

The older crowd

The older crowd
Amanda and Mitchell

A blast from the past...makes it all so real now

counter