Monday, September 6, 2010

My Newest Love

I lost my favorite kitchen appliance earlier in the summer, when Mitchell accidentally dropped the ceramic insert for my beloved crock pot. I make a ton of slow cooker recipes all year long, and I never realized how much I adore cooking in that contraption until it was gone.

This month is my 8th wedding anniversary and on my wish list, among other more glamorous things, was a new and improved crock pot. I am living large over here. You know you are a suburban housewife when you longingly desire a small electric appliance as a gift. Fast forward to last week when Jeff gave the go ahead to order any crock pot I deemed necessary. I got the crock pot green light. Woooo, flippin, who!

I did my due diligence and discovered two things. First, crock pots and slow cookers are boring, and second, the selection on sizes is pretty limited. Aside from the commercial grade unit I found for cool thousand dollars, I found most of the inserts to be maxed out at 5.5 or 6 quarts which is what I had before and I always longed for a bigger crock. (no jokes please)

I started googling slow cooker _______ quart, 6,7,8, and 9 and learned that an eight and a half quart crock pot is the largest one currently available. I discovered that ELITE makes a stainless steel,enormous 8.5 quart unit and that the price is all over the place. Once I narrowed down the make and model, it was a matter of who had the best price. Believe it or not, Walgreen's.com was the winner at $29.99 with free shipping.

My new kitchen BFF arrived on Friday. Here is my Maxi-Matic MST-800V Elite Gourmet Large 8-1/2-Quart Slow Cooker.Ain't she purdy? This Elite Slow Cooker is amazing. It is large enough for just about anything I would want to shove in there, and with our ginormous brood, 8.5 quarts of soup or chili is about right for a meal with some leftovers for freezing.

I think I hit the crock pot jackpot with this one. Happy Anniversary to me. So far in the last three days I have made Moroccan beef brisket, corn chowder, red wine applesauce chutney and spaghetti sauce. I am in love.

Don't hate me because my crock pot is better than yours, okay?

7 comments:

Catherine said...

Ohhh, please share the recipe for Moroccan beef brisket, please! Unless its a family secret. Thanks!

Melanie said...

And the chutney!
And what did you find for a slightly smaller size? I've been going back and forth on getting a bigger one or waiting. With three boys who will be teenagers before I'm ready for them to be and eating me out of house and home, a big one would be nice, but at the same time, I have a LONG time before they are teenagers, right?

Helene Eichenwald Slutsky said...

I will post the recipes this week for sure, no problem.

Melanie- I figured the bigger the better because if I going to the trouble to fix something in the crock pot, so be it if there are leftovers to freeze. Easier on the nights when we are too busy to really fuss over dinner. Plua, with the bigger one, I could do a whole turkey breast or big brisket without having to really squish it to fit.

For the same price, in the case of the slow cooker, bigger is better

bearie1 said...

Wow, your husband got off easy on a gift. Since you saved so much money on the crock pot maybe you deserve a mani/pedi?

Kidding aside, thanks for posting the info on your new love. I have a 6.5 quart Rival crockpot which is sometimes not large enough for soups or chili. So, for Christmas last year I asked for another one so now I have two. But one the size of yours would be much better.

I also have one of those 3 crockpots in one base unit things. I think mine is Rival and I got it last year before Thanksgiving. It is great for holiday meals. It was kind of pricey last year as they were new but I see the price has come down this year.

While it is just me and my husband at home now, our kids and their significant others come for dinner every week so the crock pot(s) get plenty of use. Happy Anniversary! Elaine

Helene Eichenwald Slutsky said...

Elaine,
I have been eyeing that three unit one at Costco, it looks cool for buffets, but I would be living way too large if I got that also. Whoa Nellie, that would be unheard of!

bearie1 said...

It is very cool. And very useful for buffets. But, you can probably find it for less before Thanksgiving. I really think you need it.

bearie1 said...

It is very cool. And very useful for buffets. But, you can probably find it for less before Thanksgiving. I really think you need it.

Blog Archive

The older crowd

The older crowd
Amanda and Mitchell

A blast from the past...makes it all so real now

counter