With the kids starting Kindergarten in 20 sweet days, I have become increasingly anxious to make sure we are really ready. This includes supplies, behavioral concerns, and of course, yarmulkes.
The yarmulke is the traditional Jewish hat worn by men. Some call them kippahs or skull caps but regardless of the name, they are required attire for my kindergarten boys. This is a new venture in accessorizing for us, as up until now, they have only worn them on religious occasions or in the sanctuary of the synagogue. Starting August 23, these are a daily part of their wardrobe.
I ordered the how to book called, The Uncommon Yarmulke by Cathy Perlmutter.I have decided to make my own yarmulkes for the boys. You can bet your bottom dollar my little men will be totally decked out the most awesome skull caps you have ever seen. It is my mission to make sure the girls and boys are equally as accessorized in style. Hair bows and Yarmulkes, oh boy!
Fast forward to my obsession with matching and coordinating the kids as if we were the Von Trapps. Check out the fabrics I will use, these are from Chez Ami, and they are coordinating with the girls clothes and bows.
You have probably already seen the girls modeling the outfits, and now you can watch as the boys model their yarmulkes from the same fabrics. Adding more matchy matchy stuff excites me.
I see this whole yarmulke experience as an opportunity to go all out with fabric, ribbons, ric rac and beading. It is as if a creative light bulb has been ignited. The yarmulke is a boy version of hair bows and we all know how much I love me some big bows.
Stay tuned for all the glorious photos of my handsome duo modeling my handiwork, right along side their sisters.
Once the kids are actually in school, I will get out my handy dandy sewing machine, dust it off, and crank out the kippahs. It will be a small sweat shop at my kitchen table in New Albany, I think I will call it Yarmulkes R Us.
- ► 2011 (275)
- Honking Penguins
- Direct T.V. Values New Customers MORE than Existin...
- Crafting with the Columbus Kollel
- The First Friday Night Lights of the Season
- Apples, Salsa and Abe Lincoln
- Office Depot really is Taking Care Of Business
- Re-Thinking it all
- Kindergarten and the Kissing Hand
- 'Twas the Night Before Kindergarten, Welcome to th...
- Survival Mode
- 40 hours of Parenting Blindfolded
- Coupons and Rebates, I am just Cashing In!
- Z Pizza is OUR Pizza
- Speaking of the Hoo Hah
- Back to School Excitement
- Baby Fever!
- The Power of the Blog for Sullivan's Steak House i...
- Buying in Bulk
- The Follow Up: Office Depot and Y and R still on m...
- Office Depot is on my Shit List
- My Husband, the Volunteer Shake Weight
- Thirteen Days
- The Taste of New Albany
- Part One, a Potty Break, and Part Two
- Lattes, Libraries and Lamborghinis
- The Sample Menu
- Ahhhhhh, shopping carts!
- Yarmulkes R Us
- Gluten Free Almond Cookies- three ingredients, eas...
- ▼ August (29)
- ► 2009 (345)
- ► 2008 (221)