Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Kindergarten and the Kissing Hand

The kids are LOVING kindergarten. We have completed two full days of school with only the highest compliments about their classes and teachers. I was sure that they would complain about something very trivial, but so far, so good.

I played my own version of twenty questions on the way home yesterday. I was sure to ask the most obscure, thought provoking questions and I made sure that my inquisition did not allow for yes or no answers. This is a sample of the dialogue.

Here is how it went:

"What was the best part of your first day in Kindergarten?"

CJ: I liked the playground because we had recess two whole times!"

Eli: I liked having lunch in the gym

Natalie: Morah Sara is pretty and fancy and I liked her skirt

I can't make this stuff up, the boys liked eating and playing outside, and Natalie liked the fashion aspect of her teacher. Hello??? Stereotypes much?

"Tell me what you learned?"

CJ: I learned about cutting the Hebrew letters with scissors and I brought home some supplies for our house. (upon inspecting his backpack he snuck home scissors, a glue stick and three crayons) He school-lifted on the first day- nice. I am getting a lawyer on retainer right now. The next 12 years are going to be fun, huh?

Eli: I learned that we wear the Kippahs all day in Kindergarten, not just in the sanctuary. We even wear them in the potty. (This is significantly different from pre-school where the kids were flushing yarmulkes down the toilets, and the no yarmulkes in the bathroom rule was enforced after two plumber calls during the first week of preschool.)

Natalie: My name is the same as Morah Sarah's mother, her name is Natalie too, so Morah Sarah will never forget my name. N-A-T-A-L-I-E, Natalie.

Apparently, lunch and recess scored high marks from all three monkeys. They were not bothered with the full day schedule and they all sang the praises of kindergarten because they do not have rest time. The blasted rest time was horrid in preschool so I have learned that rest time is a deal breaker. Kindergarten= no rest time so we are golden!

Here are two videos I made to document the first two days of kindergarten. There are not three videos, because CJ was too busy to make one. He was too busy taking apart some contraption he made from junk mail, rubberbands and leftover packing materials that were in a box.

Enjoy!





And here is Miss Nat-itude exhibiting her true self as she discusses that she only likes the teachers that dress fancy, and when the interview does not go her way, she turns on the whine and meltdown. Sooooo, drama queen typical. An academy award winning performance? NOT!



I received these beautiful kissing hands from my three kindergartners. The hand prints and poem are darling and until I read the words I had kept my promise not to bawl. I did not shed one single tear until I unpacked the backpacks and found (WAAAHHHHHH, SOB!) these:

The poem says:

It's my first day of school
And "The Kissing Hand" is what we read.
It's about a raccoon
Who did just as his parents said.

Like the raccoon's first day at school
I was scared and a little shy.
But because of what you said
I was brave and I got by.

All through the year
I'll make more things for you.
So as I change and as I learn
You can see my growth, too!


As I tucked them into bed, I re-read the poem to them and I kissed their hands goodnight. I promised that I would save their work from the first day and we could make the hand prints again on the last day of school, seeing how much they have grown. CJ said, "My hand will be enormous because I eat my asparagus!"

Goodnight Kindergarten kids. Tomorrow is another school day. Sniff Sniff.

Here is hoping the teachers can keep it fancy all year long!

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I LOVE reading your blog. You absolutely crack me up sometimes! Anyway, my first graders came home with the Kissing Hand story last year on the first day, and it's all they could talk about. Every day for the first month or so, they wanted me to kiss their hand before they left for school so they were reminded of me! I teared up every time! Now..second grade not so much! Too cool for the Kissing Hand, I guess :)

Anonymous said...

I have kindergarten for the first time this year and was thinking about using this book and activity for the first day of school! Your post just sealed the deal. Now I know the kids and parents will love it! :)

Blog Archive

The older crowd

The older crowd
Amanda and Mitchell

A blast from the past...makes it all so real now

counter