Sunday, August 29, 2010

Crafting with the Columbus Kollel

In my last blog post, I eluded to our lack of Friday night religion during Varsity Football season. To "make up for it" Jeff and I have been doing double overtime with the other kids. Combined with my Rabbi lead, women's study group, it is a give and take. Life is about balance, and we are just trying to stay even.

We took the little folks to a Kollel family celebration at the park. I did not have any real expectations for the event and just thought the kids would go, have fun, play on the playground and see some friends.

Instead, the kids were completely WOW-ed by all kinds of activities and beautiful craft projects. If I had known there would be paint, glue and sharpie markers, I would have dressed them in the Level III schmatahs. Instead, I assumed family picnic and had them looking all matchy matchy cute. BIG MISTAKE.

Check out the awesome agenda. Notice the clothes, the supplies and the projects and feel my pain.

In advance of Rosh Hashana, there was a honey tasting area. The kids were asked to sample the various styles of honey and to make comments.


Eli enjoyed this very much and I wondered where the wine tasting was being offered? Red, White, Champagne? Do I need to volunteer for the planning committee for next year?

Speaking of wine, the kids all made a kiddush cup, which is a toasting goblet on holidays. This art project was perfect for ruining clothes as it used permanent markers on glass. I feared streaks of bold colors on cotton and shattered shards of glass all over the shelter house, but I think we may have dodged a bullet.


I did come home with four delightful, original works of art. Is there a rule that says you MUST use the kiddush cup only for religious purposes? Note to self, ask the Rabbi if it is okay to drink a nice Pinot Noir by the computer when updating the blog! If no, then, OOOPSIE- my bad.

Each of my four Judaical Artisans made a honey tile, for dipping apples in honey. These featured glue, paint, beads and more permanent markers.

The girls loved this project because what 3 and 4 year old girl does not adore working with beads.

We are now the proud owners of four YOM TOV plates.
These mosaic style serving plates used glass beady leaves, glue, and grout on a ceramic plate. Yes, real grout. Grout, as in wet, gooey, cement for tile. Level III may have been too nice for working on this one. I am sure glad I did not dress the kids in Level I brand new Fall collections. Whew!

Here is Natalie making some Jewish New Years cards. This was liquid paint and foam card stock with rollers.After the paint was applied, a toothpick, pony tail, chin and elbow were dragged through the wet paint to form the design. Then, a sheet of white paper was pressed onto the foam to print the card. When completed Natalie was wearing more paint than her finished L'shana Tova. Happy New Year!

Do you feel me? I was doing my best not to over manage their creativity but the stain factor was about 9.9 out of 10. It does not get any more serious than Sharpie markers and fully clothed children.

As much as this post is meant to be sarcastic and funny, the kids really had a blast. I truly LOVE watching them have a great time, so in all, crafting with the Columbus Kollel was a huge success.

I came to the family picnic with clean kids and no expectations, and I left with original art and four filthy, happy children and a smile. Sunday is our fun day, and today was a fine example of that tradition.

No comments:

Blog Archive

The older crowd

The older crowd
Amanda and Mitchell

A blast from the past...makes it all so real now

counter