Sunday, June 13, 2010

My Sour Cherry Jam Recipe

It is my blog and I'll brag if I want to, brag if I want to, You would brag too if this happened to you.

I made the following Sour Cherry Jam. All said and done it costs approximately $90 a jar. While it is simply divine, I seriously doubt anyone will see the value in it. Except for me and maybe a few crazy blog readers. You know who you are.

Here is how I made the stash- and I am including pricing for your calculating pleasure. It would not be fun for Jeff if I did not cop to how much this project really cost. Even with my alleged fuzzy math.

I started with 14 pounds of freshly picked cherries, and I used about half of them for the jam, and I pitted and stored the remaining fruit in the freezers for cobblers and pies to be made later. The nifty pitter from Sur La Table actually pits up to four cherries at once,

and is a total Godsend for pitting more than a few cherries. I love this new gadget.

Ingredients:

7 pounds of Regina Sour Cherries, pitted $7
2 boxes of No Sugar Needed Pectin $3
4 cups Organic White Grape Juice %2.50
1 cup granulated sugar $.50
Mason Jars with lids. $8
****(new cherry pitter $15)
and the deal breaker:
3 hours of child care @ a mere $12 an hour
3 hours of labor at my billable rate of $100 an hour.

This is a low sugar added, freezer jam, so it is cooled and then stored in the freezer until you are ready to enjoy it. It can be refrigerated for 3 weeks once it is defrosted. It can be frozen for a year.

Prepare the jars by sterilizing them. Set aside and allow to cool and dry completely.

Dissolve one packet of pectin into 1 3/4 cup of white grape juice.
Stir over high heat and bring to a rapid boil for more than one minute. Add 5 cups of chopped, pitted cherries and stir to incorporate.I also add about 1/2 cup sugar to give it a sweeter, albeit sour flavor, and to bring the color up to bright red. Once the sugar is blended into the cherry/pectin mixture, stir again to make sure there are no pits. Ladle into the jars leaving at least a 1/2 inch space at the top.
Seal with the lids and allow to cool in the fridge before using. Can be frozen at this point too.I did not go completely over the top by adding fancy ribbons or fabric trim to the jars, although you could. I might have to make some cutesy labels though.

Repeat until you have used all the pectin packets and cherries. I made this jam in small batches to ensure the quality of the product. I have not tried to double or triple the recipe because I am scared to mess with perfection.

I am sure this will be a hit with the kids. It is a shame Jeff won't get a chance to sample the most expensive Cherry Jam ever.

No comments:

Blog Archive

The older crowd

The older crowd
Amanda and Mitchell

A blast from the past...makes it all so real now

counter