Monday, March 1, 2010

Binge and Purge

I have spent the last few days organizing the chaos that is clothing. We are in between seasons, meaning that we want to look all bright and cheery like spring, but it is still winter in terms of the weather. The kids are rapidly outgrowing the cold weather clothes and I am sizing up and shifting stuff in every room. PURGE!

In case you wondering I have spent countless hours just making piles. I am gearing up for the semi-annual Columbus Mother of Twins Sale and there is a pile of clothes, shoes, accessories and gear that needs to be tagged. The club just went to using a scanning bar code system and I have yet to tinker with it. I am sure it is simple once you get the hang of it, but I don't have the time or energy for that, just yet. Other piles include hand me downs, sell on-line, and donate. PURGE!

I got a wild hair and decided to revamp my laundry room and back hallway. I wanted my front loaders to be elevated to prevent that back breaking pull and tug when switching over the laundry. Mark the handy man to the rescue he built risers for the set. Now my washer and dryer are at the right level for me. BINGE!

While Mark was here, I showed him the catch all back hallway where we tend to collect piles of coats, recycling, and gear- it is void of any form of organization. This is our before photofor your shock and horror. I had a ritzy and posh vision of cubbies or little lockers where each child could hang their coats in winter, and keep towels and swimwear in the summer. I wanted a mudroom where the hallway is, and after researching the concept and measuring the space, I thought it could be accomplished. Here is my ultimate wish- these are versions


of what I strive to accomplish. I am hopeful in my quest to perfect the now displaced space into a functional oasis by the garage. (I priced the units at Pottery Barn Kids and Ikea and about died of sticker shock.) I decided to take my vast internet research and let Mark custom build my fantasy for a fraction of the price. He is creating my dream as I type. Stay tuned for the finished product when I reveal the TOTAL BINGE!

So as I scurry about the entire house making piles, there is nothing that is not fair game. We have bad wedding gifts, obsolete collectibles, unused electronics and tons of baby crap collecting dust. Spring weeding has taken on a new meaning here. I am selling or donating anything we don't want, need or use and I am raising the funds to pay for my new back hallway improvements. My Binge and Purge has just begun.

And you thought this was going to be a post about an eating disorder?

Out with the old and in with the new and improved- my very own mantra for the ultimate binge and purge.

5 comments:

loren said...

Oh wow, I love that first "idea" picture!

We have no formal entry way or mud room area to play with, but if I did, that would be my first choice :)

Helene Eichenwald Slutsky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Helene Eichenwald Slutsky said...

My area is so small Loren, it is a hallway between the backdoor and the garage, the one coat closet is tiny so my concept is better than the current hooks on the wall.

I am renovating a wall 56 inches long and 14 inches out- with four cubbies- I think I might be high

Stay tuned.

Ephraim said...

at least the little people will be able to fit!!!

I have plans like this for my next entryway, if there is one for that matter.

It's aaryn, not ephraim

Judy said...

Helene, Thanks for the awesome idea. Mark came out here on Thursday and the risers for my w/d were built and installed by Friday. He also fixed my fridge which flooded my basement on the same day. Score!

Blog Archive

The older crowd

The older crowd
Amanda and Mitchell

A blast from the past...makes it all so real now

counter