Monday, January 25, 2010

Chihuly Then, Chihuly Now

Over the years I have been fortunate enough to travel and appreciate the finest art the world has to offer. Dale Chihuly is one artist who has shown exhibits at various milestone moments in my life. I have the fondest memories of seeing Dale Chihuly collections.

About ten years ago in Jerusalem I spent hours in the King David Museum gazing at the modern glass sculptures of Dale Chihuly against some of the oldest relics in the world. It was old (the then) meets new (the now) right there in the heart of the Holy Land. It was a milestone moment as I toured the history of my people and spent time with my friends.

I remember posing for these photos as if it were yesterday.

Ten years ago I was single and went to Israel for the wedding of some friends. I longed to be married and have my own family and I admit I was a little jealous of the major party like shindig that was taking place in Israel. Looking back to that trip, it does feel like it was yesterday.

About eight years ago in April I had my first, blind date with Jeff. We met in Las Vegas and while I waited for him to arrive for our dinner date I busied myself with shopping. My day included seeing all of the Dale Chihuly glass fixtures and ceilings in the Bellagio Hotel as well as a stop at Jimmy Choo. Both became memorable events in what turned out to be one the most important days of my life. I went to the dinner date with Jeff knowing if it were a total train wreck, I at least, would go home with a fabulous pair of shoes and the images of the art glass. That weekend feels like it was yesterday.

Yesterday I was at the Chihuly exhibit with the same fabulous Jeff, the blind date that changed my life and became my own husband and the father to our four kids. I posed for similar photos


as I stood there in awe of the milestone moment. If you had asked me ten years ago, if I would be in Columbus, Ohio at a Chihuly exhibit with my husband and triplets plus one, I would have thought you were insane. But fast forward to now, and chalk up another milestone for me with Dale Chihuly. My whole afternoon in the Franklin Park Conservatory seemed a bit surreal.

Here are the highlights of the children at the Chihuly exhibit.



I felt compelled to take over a hundred photos to document the day. I had this gnawing feeling that there is another milestone in the making. It has been my experience that when my mommy gut instinct is calling I should listen. So I captured the day with Dale Chihuly, my husband and my four beautiful babies.

Chihuly then, Chihuly now, Chihuly in the future.

3 comments:

loren said...

Love the art, but your kids are show stealers ;)

Aaryn said...

well it's not another slutsky; or is it?!?

Helene Eichenwald Slutsky said...

no, Aaryn not another little Slutsky. I am not sure what the gnawing is, but as soon as I do, I will let you know

Blog Archive

The older crowd

The older crowd
Amanda and Mitchell

A blast from the past...makes it all so real now

counter