Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Your Kids Are Your Own Fault

I just finished reading my advanced copy of Larry Winget's new book, Your Kids Are Your Own Fault. After my family/parent/child related blog posts (rants?) of the last couple of days, I felt almost obligated to do a book review to honor of all my Blog Reading Parents.

Larry's latest book is right on.He writes in true Larry fashion, no frills, no minced words, no bullshit. I did like the original title better, Your Kids Are Your Own Damn Fault, but when it comes to selling books, publishers tend to get a little over protective. I am not sure that the one omitted word makes significant impact, because the message is the same.

Larry and I are friends. If his book sucked and was not worth reading, I would tell him and I would tell you. That is not the case at all. In fact, I loved reading this so much that I loaned my advanced and signed copy to the preschool director at Temple Beth Chanel. She and Larry parent and teach in the same manner. If you are looking for an awesome gift idea for a baby shower or if you know someone on bed rest because with a high risk multiple pregnancy, this is the ultimate book to bring as a present. Forget baby rattles and useless cutesy accessories, be the one to honor the new parents with something truly helpful.

"This book is for the parents who love their kids, want the best for them, and are willing to do whatever it takes to turn that kid into a great adult." As I read that statement I could not help but think that the people who need this book the most will probably never bother to read it. You know who you are! (just kidding) (sort of?)

"Being a parent is the toughest job in the world, especially with the increasing number of negative influences and pitfalls facing our kids today, from childhood obesity and out-of-control celebrity culture to the dangers of the Internet and credit card debt." I cut and pasted this direct quote from Larry's book jacket as Tiger Woods crashes through his squeaky clean image. This quote speaks volumes while the Gosselins, who wanted us to tune in every week and marvel at their multi-tasking parenting of multiples, have completely imploded in front of their plus 8. Do you think the 19 Duggar children will grow up be leaders when their momma and daddy are using tax loopholes and money from a television network to benefit their lifestyle? And no blog post about parenting pitfalls would be complete without mentioning the Octomom. Sorry, I had. to. do. that. What kind of example have they all set for their own kids and their so called fans and audiences? Let's face it, Infidelity, Divorce, Greed and the ever present Paparazzi can't be good for their children.

"Larry Winget has never been one to shy away from tough truths, and what he says in this guide may be difficult for some parents to swallow: we are in the midst of a crisis with our kids. Kids today are over-indulged, over-entertained, under-achieving, and under-disciplined, with a sense of entitlement that is crippling society. And the real problem is that parents aren't paying attention to what's going on. If they were, they would realize that most kids today barely read and write, except with their thumbs on their cell phones!" All I have to add after posting that excerpt, is AMEN LARRY!

Parents really are the best role models a child can have, so leave it to Larry to remind us to fix ourselves before we try to influence our offspring. YES, I read the book, and I am the first one to admit that I needed a swift kick in the parental ass. And with that, remember, YOUR KIDS ARE YOUR OWN FAULT just like my kids are my own fault.

4 comments:

Laura said...

When does this book come out? I would love to get a copy of it for myself. My kids are older, but I could always use some fresh ideas!

BetsyBoston said...

WOW Helene I think my sister in law needs this book. Would it be totally tacky to give this as a gift? Her kids are completely OUT OF CONTROL.

Thanks for the tip

Helene Eichenwald Slutsky said...

Ladies, the book is releasing on December 24 and will be available through Amazon, or at Borders or Barnes and Noble, and if your kids are older this book will still apply.

Enjoy!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Blog Archive

The older crowd

The older crowd
Amanda and Mitchell

A blast from the past...makes it all so real now

counter