Thursday, November 12, 2009

Taking Full Advantage

After the freebie post yesterday I had an equally lucrative Thursday. Thanks to some amazing weather and an au pair-less full day without school, I packed a picnic lunch and headed to the zoo with my zoo.

I knew it was going to be an awesome zoo experience when we pulled into the parking lot and it was practically empty. We arrived about an hour after the opening and got the second row closest to the gate.This is rock star parking. Since we have an annual family membership both parking and admission is free. I took full advantage of this zoo day with my children.We brought Charlotte's pink car along since we are proud to be stroller-less.

We saw their favorite exhibits and animals. Charlotte LOVES the penguins and today due to the lack of patrons we got even more up close and personal

with her penguino friends. She was so excited to see all of them.

The pink flamingos are always a crowd pleaser

and my kids stand on one leg as they gaze at them. Monkey see monkey do, I suppose?

We found a spot for the make shift picnic lunch I toted into the zoo.

Once again I managed to bring all the consumables and did not purchase anything to eat or drink. A truly free visit if you will.

The aquarium area was a ghost town. Normally we shuffle around trying to get close enough to the glass to see something,





but today, we owned the place. The kids took turns driving the video playing boat with Jack Hanna. Good Stuff. Good Stuff.

No visit to the Columbus zoo is complete without a few mintues with the Panamanian Frogs.We lingered in front of the glass longing for our Argenida. I lingered the longest counting the days until she is back.

The kids spent the next 2 hours playing on various outdoor sculptures and climbing all over the place.


This was a great way to pass the time on a Thursday in November in Columbus. CJ carjacked Charlotte and spent a good portion of the time flying down the hill inside her pink car.

He raced himself toward the rock retaining wall and rammed into it hood first about 322 times. Each time he zoomed into the wall he laughed hysterically. Note to self, get full coverage auto insurance on this kid when he is 16- liability alone will not do.

Just as we were exiting the zoo a couple of Muslim women in full black burkas passed us with their strollers.All you could see were two eyes barely peering out from the head scarf and they were covered completely. CJ said in his loudest (excited) voice, "LOOK MOMMIE, THEY GOT THEIR HALLOWEEN COSTUMES ON!" Before I could say a thing, Eli followed up with this classic, "MOMMIE, I THINK THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE BLACK GHOSTS!" OMG, I was dying- I tried not to smile or laugh, but it was hysterical. Funny because they say exactly what they are feeling and seeing, and in their innocent defense, they did look like costumes. Trick or Treat?

Then as we drove home, and in keeping with taking full advantage of the day, I stopped at the gas station at Giant Eagle to redeem some fuel perks. I was set to collect my free 30 gallons of gas but as you recall, my van when bone dry only takes 21 gallons. This time, I was prepared and I brought some empty tanks along.
When it was all said and done I scored by 30 gallons of gas for FREE. Did you really think I would forfeit my remaining 9 gallons? How is that for taking total and sensational advantage of the perk?

Could I keep up this lifestyle 24-7-365?....HELL NO! I am just doing what I have to do to survive. It is survival of the fittest and with four kids four and under it is eat or be eaten, so we get out, see, do and get from meals to bed time everyday. It is days like today where I am whole heartidly exhausted. Taking full advantage is taking its toll. Anyone else wanna turn?

6 comments:

The Wright Trips said...

I wanna know...do you ever sleep? Ha!

Nothing shocks me anymore... said...

OMG! I can only imagine my kids saying the same things!

Nothing shocks me anymore... said...

OMG! I can only imagine my kids saying the same things!

Helene Eichenwald Slutsky said...

Yes, I do sleep, I just do it at traffic lights and during meetings about varsity football.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Jacey said...

Wow, I normally enjoy your blog - especially the gluten free recipes, and the amusing things your kids say.
But I thought that your reaction to seeing those Muslim women in their burka's was completely uncalled for. I understand kids making comments like that... but you stopped and took photos! I don't stop and take pics when I see Jewish men walking around in their skullcaps, or Mormen women with their updo's and long skirts.....
Trick or treat? Hopefully they didn't see you taking photos, and their day at the zoo continued to be a treat.

Helene Eichenwald Slutsky said...

Jacey- thanks for your comment. I did not say trick or treat out loud. I wrote that but would not sat anything like that as if to pass judgement. Actually we did talk about the black outfits as Natalie called them. I think the facial part of the burka kind of scared her, and I gave a very brief explanation that those ladies wear them because they want to stay private. She understood that.

Sorry if it bugged the bajeezus out of you. Come back again. I promise my kids will say inapproriate things, and I will keep posting bargains and gf recipes. My own humor gets lost in translation sometimes.

Blog Archive

The older crowd

The older crowd
Amanda and Mitchell

A blast from the past...makes it all so real now

counter