Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Dinner and a Show but not in that order

I had the kids all over town today. All four of them by myself from about 8:30 this morning, until Jeff got home at 8:00 tonight. I kept my sanity by staying really busy. We ran errands, made a Costco run and played outside.

As we approached Worthington we saw a thick, dark black smoke in the distance. I knew something was seriously on fire but I had no idea what it was. I decided to check it out for the sake of adventure. Since my kids were buckled up it was a safe bet that any sort of emergency situation would be entertainment. Tick Tock, Tick Tock, I thought as we got close enough to see the car on fire. This was not just any car or any fire-

this was a training exercise for the fire fighters and their brand new equipment. They should have sold tickets to this event because they put on quite a show. My four on lookers were completely mesmerized as the cars were burning and pouring out black smoke. As soon as the glass blew out of the windows and windshields and the loud boom ensued, they were in awe. We sat there for 35 minutes and it was a peaceful, relaxing, and educational demonstration. I sat in my van listening to Sade and checking email on my i-phone. Heavenly. Who knew a car fire could be so lovely? As we drove away I thought I should make a donation to the fire fighters fund with a thank you note stating my extreme pleasure in their work.

Since we had all day I asked the kids to help me make dinner tonight.


This is another one my time killers when micromanaging the whole crew. I prepared a nacho bar with salsa chicken from the crock pot, Spanish Style rice made from the leftover crock pot juices and salsa,
fresh guacamole, and all the fixings. Whenever my "helpers" are involved in the process of making dinner, they eat it like it is going out of style. Dinner was a messy buffet of nacho toppings and chips but they ate a ton.

It was a gluten free meal that everyone totally gobbled up. I am sure I will be finding black beans and shredded cheese all over the place tomorrow but in the grand scheme of things, it could be worse.

I could not have planned a better field trip if I tried. A free show, then dinner. It does not get any better than this.

1 comment:

No Name said...

Your twins are simply adorable!!

Blog Archive

The older crowd

The older crowd
Amanda and Mitchell

A blast from the past...makes it all so real now

counter