Yesterday I bribed the kids to behave all morning. I used a currency that works. I dangled a carrot in front of them and the carrot was the opportunity to bake cupcakes with me.
I decided if I could not decorate the front lawn and porch for Halloween, I could certainly decorate cupcakes. Betty Crocker has nothing on me. I can whip up some dye free, gluten free, chocolate cakes like nobodys business. I even took the crew to Giant Eagle to buy some additional toppings like sundrops and coconut flakes. I had been reading all kinds of baking blogs and I was all fired up.
I lined up the ingredients,
the fixings,the pans, the liners, and the children. We stirred, mixed and poured. As a reward,
they all got to lick various spoons and spatulas. Then, as the cupcakes cooled on the counter top, we went to Blendon Woods for our daily outing.(see post from yesterday)
I was upset when CJ was acting as if he was sick. This is a kid that LOVES going to a park, so when he had no interest in playing I suspected he was getting sick again. He proceeded to vomit twice before he fell asleep
on the picnic table. This is what typically happens when he has been glutened. I wondered what he might have eaten when I wasn't looking. As everyone else played and collected leaves, poor CJ just laid there completely lifeless.
As soon as we got home he seemed better. He was asking for a drink and showing interest in toys. I immediately searched the kitchen trash can to see if there were any clues. Then, as I saw the cake mix box, my heart sank. I realized that I bought the wrong cake mix. Instead of the gluten free chocolate version I bought the dairy free, peanut free, allergen free one with the first ingredient WHEAT FLOUR. OMG, I was freaking out. My Mommie Guilt was off the charts. My intentions were pure and I only wanted the kids to have fun and enjoy some spooky treats, but it all went horribly wrong. He got so sick from just a few licks of the batter.
This is one of the few accidental exposures CJ has had in about 2 years. I was completely responsible for this and it shook me to the core. He bounced back within a few hours but I was traumatized beyond words. Mommie guilt is a very powerful thing.
- ► 2011 (275)
- ► 2010 (313)
- Halloween Happiness
- LOTS of Treats and a trick from me to you
- Arriving at Aloft in Leawood, Kansas
- Beggars Night
- Field Trips Anyone?
- Fall Fiascos and Fall Fun- two rolled into one
- Mommie Guilt
- Sunday is our Funday
- Happy Halloween from the Neighborhood
- The Pool Party
- I am a Preschool Picasso Pimp
- All in a days work in Palm Beach
- Leaving the Leaves and Loving It
- Gluten Free Turkey Meatloaf
- Mommie is DOWN and Falling Apart
- Thankful and Relieved
- This Bonus Mom gets Bragging Rights for Bonus Son
- Sukkot Sunday and Gluten Free Moroccan Roasted Pum...
- EASY Gluten Free Potato Crusted Wild Salmon with P...
- What a Tear Jerker
- Shiloh Jolie Pitt to wed Caleb James Slutsky
- The Last Fourth Birthday Party
- Aunts and Uncles- How Sweet it is
- Pumpkin Festival for the NICU
- A Hum-dinger of a Fourth Birthday
- Gluten Free Tuna Noodle Casserole
- There is No Place Like Home
- ▼ October (27)
- ► 2008 (221)