I have been meaning to post this recipe for two weeks and as I type this I am scheduling it to post on Friday so that I do not forget it again. I made these incredible gluten free onion rings from the sugar sweet onion at the Lynd's market- you might recall
the onion was the size of Eli's head. I will say that this recipe tastes terrific and I dare you to make these for a crowd without telling anyone they are gluten free. My crew ate them as fast as I could fry them and at one point I had to shoo everyone out of the kitchen because I feared there wouldn't be any left for the meal.
2 large sweet onions
1.5 cups low fat buttermilk ( or just shy of 1 c milk with 1 tsp vinegar added)
1 cup Jules Nearly Normal Flour
1 cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Cornbread mix
fresh cracked black pepper
1 tsp salt
Vegetable oil for frying-
Slice onion into rings and soak them in buttermilk mixture for 30 minutes or while you assemble everything else.Assemble the dry ingredients in a gallon size ziploc bag. Stir in Buttermilk to drain the onions and make a batter in your bag. Dip onions one by one to coat all over with batter. Drop into hot oil and cook until golden brown turning half way through the rotation.Make sure you space them apart to prevent clumping and sticking to each other. This is time consuming and would be ideal if you had multiple fryers going, but I rarely prepare any fried foods and my equipment is limited. They are a cross between a tempura dipped onion and a traditional french fried style onion ring. Drain on paper towels and keep warm in a 250 degree oven until you serve them with BBQ sauce. Enjoy!
- ► 2011 (275)
- ► 2010 (313)
- Double Date night
- Hakuna Matata, that means no worries for the rest ...
- Day of Atonement
- A Solo Debut from Natalie
- Incredible Gluten Free Onion Rings
- Free Cold Stone Ice Cream on Thursday September 24...
- 15 Years Difference
- Just as I predicted
- Proof that they had fun
- Times Flies when you are Having Fun and We are Hav...
- Rock Stars and Models
- I can't make this stuff up
- The Silly Slutsky Quartet now playing at Village S...
- Look out Danica Patrick
- So Much to Say So Much to Do
- UPS Update
- Stress??? What Stress, this is just everyday life...
- NAH NAH to ZHU ZHU pets
- What is with all the public display of agression?
- Chuck E. Cheese
- Fall is Finally Here
- New Gluten Free Items at Trader Joe's
- Moms of Multiples Know How to PARTY
- Let's Play Questions and Answers about the Duggar ...
- ▼ September (24)
- ► 2008 (221)