I could not resist the Amish Organic cucumbers at the market. They were right next to the heirloom cherry tomatoes and were begging to come home with me. I envisioned a marinated salad and went with a combination of flavors that packed a ton of taste with barely a drop of fat. This recipe is gluten free as long as you use apple cider vinegar, and gluten free mustard. Obviously this works best with the finest tomatoes available-
Ripe heirloom tomatoes (halved)
red onion (paper thin slices)
green onion stalks (snipped)
peeled cucumbers (sliced thinly)
zest and juice of lemon
1/2 cup whole grain brown mustard
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
salt and pepper
2 cloves crushed fresh garlic
1 TBSP honey
1/2 cup fat free mayo (or regular mayo if you like)
Assemble all the prepped veggies in large colander over the sink. Add salt and pepper, let stand while you make the marinade. This will draw out the water from the cucumbers.
In a pyrex mixing cup add all the dressing ingredients and pulse together with a stick blender. The dressing/marinade will be thick but the extra water from the cucumbers will thin it as it chills.
Assemble the veggies and marinade in a large glass bowl or ziploc and chill together all day- or overnight. Toss again before serving.
- ► 2011 (275)
- ► 2010 (313)
- Gluten Free Farmer's Market Marinated Salad- low f...
- OMG We have created a monster...a straight haired ...
- Just Keeping it Real
- An Open Letter to my Uterus
- Another Plan "B" kind of Vacation
- The New and Improved Slutsky Family Mission Statem...
- Dawn to Dusk in Virginia Beach
- The Beach Babies
- Rocking in Raleigh
- Are We There Yet? Beside the Sea Side!
- Mocha Monday and Free Pastry at Starbucks Tomorrow...
- Summer Smiles and Singing in the Rain
- A Fun Friday Filled with Freebies
- Gluten Free Chicken Nachos
- Observations from a Road Trip
- You've Got a Friend
- Mocha Mondays at McDonalds and other random free s...
- Gluten Free Pop Tarts
- Preschool Panic
- A Day in Dayton- Field Trip # 371
- Pregnancy is Contagious
- What do "NORMAL" families talk about during dinner...
- Fireworks, Friends and Fun for 10% of the Fourth
- Everyone Loves a Parade!
- Ready to go to Nana & Papa's House
- Match.com newest member, Jon Gosselin
- Our Jewish Jack Russell Terrier named John Lennon
- New Pajamas
- ▼ July (29)
- ► 2008 (221)