Thursday, May 28, 2009

Only Made in Italy Will Do

Last week I found a darling pair of Euro size 27 Oilily Sandals I bought over a year ago. They are one of those shoe bargains I saw and could not resist-80% off with free shipping and no sales tax so they were practically FREE.Since they were about 5 sizes too big at the time, I figured at some point one of the girls would grow into them. That someone is Natalie, she can finally wear them.

As I took them out of the box, I noticed and said out loud, These shoes are Made in Italy. If you have kids you know that most children's shoes are made in China so I found this a bit remarkable actually. I made that statement in front of Natalie who was more interested in the sandals than where they were made. She paraded around the family room in her new Oilily beaded sandals and that was that. Or so I thought.

Fast forward to today, as we were hurrying to get up, dressed and out of the house to Preschool Graduation. I had a cute dress and some Target sandals ready for Natalie. As I tried to get her ready she had an absolute meltdown. A meltdown of epic proportions actually. The whining and screeching were painful and I could barely make out her demands. I asked her to slow down and calmly tell me what the issue was- when she took some deep breaths and in her most dramatic voice said, "I want to wear the shoes that are Made in Italy!" Apparently the Target sandals would not do. Not now anyway.

I could not help but chuckle at her ability to remember such information. I said Made in Italy once, in passing, and that was that. Oh but wait, she continued on and on about the damn shoes. I tried in vain to convince her to put the Target sandals on because they matched her dress. The white leather sandals were an ideal choice with the dress, really, they were. She wanted nothing to do with them and insisted that shoes that are Made in Italy go with everything.

They do match she persisted. They are perfect. And with that she wore the Oilily beaded shoes to graduation. I could not argue with her logic. She was right.
Sometimes, the shoes make a statement to your outfit and Natalie was convinced of it. There are times when only Made in Italy will do. This was one of those times.

Yes, Mom and Dad I know you are chuckling too, I know you are beaming with pride that I am getting my just desserts on this. What comes around goes around. I am sure you can recall similar stories about me, and my fashion crisis but that does not help make this any easier. I am dealing with a diva and I am sure you can relate, right? Gah!

1 comment:

The Husband said...

Pratically FREE? Someone explain this to me. No shipping, no tax and 80% off. That means she still paid 20%. Therefore, if can buy a Mercedes Benz SLR McLaren Roadster with a current price tag of $495,000 for $99,000 including tax and title, the car is FREE?

Blog Archive

The older crowd

The older crowd
Amanda and Mitchell

A blast from the past...makes it all so real now

counter