We took the kids to the International Au Pair festival. Argenida and Lany represented Panama and the kids proudly wore their tee shirts to honor them. It was so adorable to watch the children enjoy all the international cultures that were represented at the fair. They went from booth to booth getting stamps in their mini passports. They sampled all kinds of sugary desserts and candies from various countries,
and they got to color pictures of images in the foreign languages, play with balloons and reek havoc in the little meeting room. The kids had an absolute blast, Jeff and I were on damage control the whole time.
The event started at 2:30 which is smack dab in the middle of our normal nap time. I ordinarily would have skipped such an event based solely on conflict of interest but since Argenida worked so hard on the preparations we HAD to go and show our support. We only stayed long enough to make an appearance and let the kids do the bare minimum to have fun without injury or disaster. These kinds of events are managable with a kid or two, but when you are outnumbered and the stress level hardly seems worth it. I ended up driving to Pataskala and back trying to get them to fall asleep in their car seats for a make shift version of nap time. My plan scored me an hour and 33 minutes of listening to MY OWN MUSIC and looking at the spring country scenery while I looked into my rear view mirror to spy on the slumbering wee ones. I got a car wash and filled up with gas in peace and quiet. I know they were exhausted but taking them home and dealing with 4 kids sans the nap seemed out of the question- especially since they had been going like the Energizer Bunny since about 5:45 a.m.
Some days are just spent flying by the seat of my pants. It is a good thing I have a big seat and even bigger pants, because when the kids do not get their regularly scheduled nap, it is a true test of my parenting skills for the rest of the day. Next year Au Pair Fest 2010 needs to start before noon, or after the completion of naps, round 4:00 or we will have to say No Way Jose. See, my Spanish is really getting good- this international cultural exchange is great for me too!
- ► 2011 (275)
- ► 2010 (313)
- Summer Sunday with the Slutskys
- Triplet Mania
- Gluten Free Almond Shortcakes with Fresh Strawberi...
- Strawberry Fields Forever!
- Only Made in Italy Will Do
- Pink Panties- Oy Vay!
- The Real Housewives of Franklin County- the Memori...
- Shout out to Mitchell
- The Start of a Slutsky Summer
- The Gluten Free Shabbat Challah becomes Gluten Fre...
- It is not a Party until someone Pukes or Pees
- Here Comes the Sun
- The Jumparounds also known as the crack cocaine of...
- See Guys- you used to play nicely together
- My Old Life versus My New Life- who wants to play ...
- Just a moment in time
- Fun with Office Supplies
- Soft and Chewy, Totally Gluten Free Oatmeal Raisin...
- Kids Say the Darndest Things- The Slutsky Edition-...
- Valley of the Sun- the Queen's Vacation
- How I do it ALL!
- Play Date Play Great
- They are In LOVE
- Mother's Day Weekend
- The Preschool Picassos and Parents make for a mega...
- Orgasmic GLUTEN FREE chocolate fudge cakes
- The Invasion of Nana & Papa
- Gluten Free Pizza and Recess Duty
- A Mother's Job- BOTHERING THE CHILDREN
- Kate Gosselin versus Flock of Sea Gulls will it st...
- Au Pair Palooza- also known as the International A...
- The Jewish Martha Stewart
- ▼ May (32)
- ► 2008 (221)