The notion of making gluten free carrot cake all started when I bought this adorable bunny rabbit cake mold pan at Giant Eagle for 75% off, post Easter.If they had any decent Passover crap I would have bought it but all that was left was perishable, so...BUNNIES- win! It is so cute and perfect for putting that cutesy spin on healthy gluten free muffins for the children. They will eat just about anything if is marketed and promoted correctly. Max and Ruby disguised as baked goods, SCORE!
Here is the recipe for these really tasty gluten free carrot cakes-they are loaded with real fruit and very little added sugar.
2 cups Jules Nearly Normal Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 cup canola oil
3/4 firmly packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup natural applesauce
1 can crushed pineapple in real juice (drained) save juice to drink
1/2 tsp GF vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups worth of finely shredded carrots
(I used defrosted baby food carrots from HAPPY BABY)
1 cup raisins
1 tsp finely grated orange zest
Preheat oven to 350. Spray muffin tins or cake pans generously with Pam. Sift together the first 5 dry ingredientsand set aside. In a large bowl whisk together the oil, brown sugar, applesauce, pineapple, vanilla, and carrots.
Blend until well mixed and smooth. Add dry ingredients and combine with folding motion until well incorporated.
Fold in raisins evenly. Fill pans and bake for about 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing muffins from tins, cool on a wire rack.
You could make these in regular muffin pans and then they could be frosted with a cream cheese icing if desired, but my kids do not need more sugars- so we go them as bunnies sans the frosting. Were these a hit? You decide....
The smiling faces don't lie folks, it is gluten free magic.
- ► 2011 (275)
- ► 2010 (313)
- Gluten Free Menus for Restaurant Dining
- When you care enough to create the very best for M...
- Helene Slutsky's list of Don't Bothers and Sucky P...
- Helene Slutsky's list of Favorite Things
- Spring in Full Bloom
- Our March with Babies
- Our visit to The Ohio State University NICU
- Gluten Free Carrot Raisin Cakes
- I am speechless
- Blooms and Butterflies are Breathtaking
- Face in a Hole
- Why our Daddy should not color with our impression...
- Playgrounds, Picnics, Ponds and Proms
- The Whole Foods Dance Party
- One Step, Crock Pot, Gluten Free, Spicy BBQ Pork ...
- Rama Lama Ding Dong
- Rain Rain Go Away
- OY the Nat-i-tude
- For the love of Sunny Skies
- The Slutskys are Cashews
- Fabulous Fajita Fridays
- Gluten Free Noodle Kugel
- The Silly Slutsky Seder
- Passover Whine
- Free Coffee
- Sam Edelman is Sexy
- Birthday Bash and Bargains
- Sharing Sake and Sushi for Shabbat
- Gluten Free Blue Cornbread Muffins
- Tuition is $21,000 but you get FREE COFFEE
- Another Pasta Post
- My April Fools joke lasts all year
- ▼ April (33)
- ► 2008 (221)