Argenida and I took the children on a real field trip. As much as I love my hair brained little side trips, this one is legit. We went to the Blooms and Butterfly exhibit at the Franklin Park Conservatory and were totally in awe of the spectacular show. This is a must see when you are in Columbus.
It is a beautiful combination of plants, flowers, Dale Chihuly art glass and butterflies all inside an indoor garden.
The kids watched as "the Butterfly lady" gathered all of the recently hatched butterflies.
We got an up close and personal little tour as she released them into the conservatory plant and water garden. Argenida and the kids were mesmerized by the real butterflies and their unique colors. They were so brilliant and vibrant they looked fake. Once they took off in flight around us there was no doubt about their liveliness.
Some of the butterflies landed on our fingers and clothing and were a photo opp like no other. It was an awesome sight for the kids as you can plainly see.
I took 212 images and completely drained my camera battery trying to capture every moment of this experience. It was so breathtaking!
The kids discovered the indoor koi pond. There were huge "goldfish" swimming among the Chihuly art glass balls.
The coins that have been thrown into the water really give a perspective of the enormous size of these fish. My kids threw the little fish kibble into the water and watched as the giant fish gobbled it up. Eli and CJ called the biggest one the Daddy fish and then Natalie piped in and showed them the Mommie fish who was big, but petite in comparison to the Daddy. (contrary to what they learned from coloring with their own father?)
The Franklin Park Conservatory is just plain fun. Here are just a few more images worth sharing.
When you are in Columbus and you need to take a break from everyday life, you can lose your breath in natures' beauty...just spend some time on a field trip to the Franklin Park Conservatory.
- ► 2011 (275)
- ► 2010 (313)
- Gluten Free Menus for Restaurant Dining
- When you care enough to create the very best for M...
- Helene Slutsky's list of Don't Bothers and Sucky P...
- Helene Slutsky's list of Favorite Things
- Spring in Full Bloom
- Our March with Babies
- Our visit to The Ohio State University NICU
- Gluten Free Carrot Raisin Cakes
- I am speechless
- Blooms and Butterflies are Breathtaking
- Face in a Hole
- Why our Daddy should not color with our impression...
- Playgrounds, Picnics, Ponds and Proms
- The Whole Foods Dance Party
- One Step, Crock Pot, Gluten Free, Spicy BBQ Pork ...
- Rama Lama Ding Dong
- Rain Rain Go Away
- OY the Nat-i-tude
- For the love of Sunny Skies
- The Slutskys are Cashews
- Fabulous Fajita Fridays
- Gluten Free Noodle Kugel
- The Silly Slutsky Seder
- Passover Whine
- Free Coffee
- Sam Edelman is Sexy
- Birthday Bash and Bargains
- Sharing Sake and Sushi for Shabbat
- Gluten Free Blue Cornbread Muffins
- Tuition is $21,000 but you get FREE COFFEE
- Another Pasta Post
- My April Fools joke lasts all year
- ▼ April (33)
- ► 2008 (221)