Friday, February 13, 2009

Gluten Free Shrimp Scampi Pasta

I wanted to make a romantic meal for us in advance of Valentine's Day. Jeff sent me some incredible flowers from a florist in Hawaii, and they arrived last week. I love that they are not technically for Valentine's Day and they arrived so early that they are given with love and affection with no holiday attachment, no reason-just because.
I look at the photo of them when Jeff annoys the piss out of me and the flashback to his recent sweetness usually brings me back to a state of peaceful co-existance.

We enjoyed a candlelight family meal with wine, music and four children 3 and under. Makes you wonder about my sense of romance, huh?Here is my most requested garden salad with my homemade pink dip dressing- recipe next week, I promise. YUM. You know the dressing is delish when the kids beg for salad just so they can have the pink dip.

I took the photos and when I uploaded them to this post I noticed that this is not the shrimp scampi entree, but I decided to show you the images anyway, I guess I was mildly confused by the 2 glasses of wine, so forgive me,


Oh well. The kids devoured this meal. It was super easy and quick to make and it was so good that it has already be added to the list of faborites by CJ- he says it is his "shrimpest faborite."

Note about cooking with wine- I believe you should only cook with wine you would drink, so you might notice the half empty glass of wine with all the GF Friday recipes, this not only confirms that the wine is good, it helps a busy mom stay focused in the kitchen. Robert Mondavi Fume Blanc, wooo hooo!

Shrimp Scampi

2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined - tails left on-
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Olive oil
1 small onion, sliced thinly
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1 lemon remove some zest first, set aside then, juiced
1/2 cup white wine- I used Fume Blanc
1/2 cup GF chicken stock or broth
2 tablespoons cold butter
2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves
Gluten Free Pasta or rice

Season the shrimp thoroughly with salt and pepper. Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add enough oil to lightly coat the pan. Add the shrimp and quickly saute until just starting to turn pink, but not cooked through. Remove from the pan and set aside. Add the onions and saute just until they begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook another 30 seconds. Add the lemon juice, white wine, and stock, and reduce by 2/3, about 5 minutes. Add the shrimp back to the pan and swirl in the butter. Finish with the parsley and zest and check for seasoning.

We served over GF pasta with Parmesan cheese. The kids ate double servings and we barely had enough left for Mitchell when he got home from basketball.

No comments:

Blog Archive

The older crowd

The older crowd
Amanda and Mitchell

A blast from the past...makes it all so real now

counter