I very rarely bitch and moan about sick kids- what is the point? Right now I have 4 kids plagued with this G-d Awful cough, fever, and drippy noses. I kept them home from school today so that the entire class would not be infected, but now I am dealing with miserable children who all want to be held, cuddled, coddled and loved; AT ONCE. It's my blog and I 'll bitch if I want to.
I called my pediatrician's office this morning. I love her. She and her nurses go out of their way to accommodate our crew. Of course, just my luck that today is her day off so I got the ladies from the other side of the building to take my call. They do not know me, or my children so it was a frustrating phone call. I don't think they realize that I only call when it is absolutely necessary. I know my kids and I can assess them without much medical intervention. I try my best to remedy them myself before I call or bring them in- partially because so far they have been, knock wood, kanina horrah; healthy. Considering that just the co-pays on a sick office visit are $80, I make sure they are truly in need. Suffice it to say, I only call if and when it is serious.
When my call was finally taken, the lame triage nurse on call asked if anyone was choking or having trouble breathing? Ugh, are you joking? Do you think I would be waiting on muzak hold for 17 minutes if they were? Please, gimme a break. Clearly she did not know who she was speaking with- at all. After providing all of the names- spelled out, dates of birth and a call back number she asked me why I was calling. I explained their issues and she dismissed me by saying, well...we are seeing lots of these symptoms, and these coughs are lasting 2 weeks or more, so if they are still sick in two weeks, you can call back and schedule an appointment. WHAT??? Do you think I will be alive after being quarantined in my house with 4 sick children for up to 14 days. Sorry, but that was not the answer I was calling to get.
I know if my own pediatrician were there she would have offered a more timely solution to my problem. I would almost guarantee that she would have at least listened to my kids' chests, and perhaps checked their ears for a possible infection. I know she would never ask me to wait two weeks to be seen. So...I wait until she returns to the office tomorrow, when I call back and get in touch with the staff I adore. Until then, I am stuck at home with my own personal waiting room of pooky kids.Anyone want to come over with some vodka martinis and trashy tabloids- not for the kids, but for me?
- ► 2011 (275)
- ► 2010 (313)
- Columbus Mother of Twins Spring Sale- a total succ...
- Gluten Free Parmesan Crusted Tilapia
- 4 Co- Pays and some $25 gift cards
- Fevers, Coughs, Runny Noses- TIMES FOUR
- Enviro-kids Gluten Free Cereal-palooza
- I made a lady cry at Giant Eagle
- Eli's words of wisdom
- Gluten Free Cranberry Orange Dressing, also known ...
- Natalie's Potty Rating System
- Welcome to New Albany, OH- we have Clean Streets a...
- Music To My Ears, so C'mon Get Happy
- The Nadya Suleman Saga, How one woman's poor judgm...
- Pink and Green LOVE
- Brotherly LOVE
- Gluten Free Shrimp Scampi Pasta
- Wester Bill
- Muddy Waters
- Twenty Years
- A Sticky Situation
- Confined Spaces and Cages- How I survive the winte...
- Chewable Pampers
- Gluten Free Batch Cooking 101
- Dripstiks and Popsicles Make a Cold Day FUN
- The Real Housewives of Franklin County, Ohio
- Facebook Frolics
- My Pretty, Petite, Picasso of 19 months
- I am Flabbergasted
- ▼ February (27)
- ► 2008 (221)