Sunday, December 28, 2008

Wild Night Lights at the Columbus Zoo thanks to Global Warming this is not a vent

Thanks to the unseasonably warm front we had balmy winds and a temperature around 70 degrees- at 5:30 p.m. In December. In Columbus. Last Night! This was open season for everyone and their uncles to invade the zoo. The Wild Nights exhibit runs from Thanksgiving to January 3- and up until the recent thaw, there was no way in hell I was going to bundle 4 littles to schlep them round looking at Christmas lights inside the zoo with windchill factors. Just last week we were in single digit temps. Global warming?

I should have known the zoo was going to be a hot spot- I am sure all the other sane parents have put off going to see these wildlights too! I should have known when the parking lot was jam packed. The traffic just getting there was crazy. I should have guessed that there would be a zillion strollers, trashy cig smokers, and a annoying lack of good parenting from the patrons- I have come to expect that from all events that draw a crowd at our zoo. Are you sitting down? I was pleasantly SHOCKED at how well or visit went- along with more than half of the local population. Maybe my medication has kicked into full gear, or maybe I have been overcome with Holiday Spirit? We had fun. I did not want to shoot myself or anyone else. Is this even possible? HELLO-has Global Warming gone to my brain---wtf?

Fortunately the kids had a blast too. They were in total amazement at the zoo "Wiff all da kiss-mas lites"- It was truly spectacular.








The photos can not do the displays justice. I have tried to capture the wonder and awe but it does not translate like being there in person.




The landscape was covered in LED lights (the zoo has gone green- because of global warming?) and the holiday themed wild nights were a unanimous hit with the pack of wild animals I brought in my van. I hope we get one more marginally warm evening between now and January 3rd so we can go back and have a little more elbow room. When it comes to visiting the Columbus Zoo in winter, I am all about maximizing the affect of Global Warmning. Woo Hoo!

No comments:

Blog Archive

The older crowd

The older crowd
Amanda and Mitchell

A blast from the past...makes it all so real now

counter