Saturday, October 11, 2008

It's Finally Fall and we have the pumpkins to prove it!

When you are three years old it is difficult to grasp the meaning of something until you are hands on touching, smelling, tasting and dealing with a subject directly. The change of seasons is a concept the kids know about but don't completely appreciate- yet that is. Today I set out to make them fans of Fall! Ahhhh, Autumn, the crisp weather, the crunchy leaves, the harvest foods....So, to illustrate my point in person, we took a field trip to the Pretty Pumpkin Patch in Pataskala- whew, that is a mouthful. The kids needed to be at one with the large orange gourds for the true learning experience.


Up until this morning they have seen pumpkins decorating the porches in our neighborhood and they know that pumpkins come in all shapes and sizes. But until today they thought pumpkins came from Giant Eagle. I talked and talked for 15 miles to and from the field- I am sure my kids can answer any question you may have about "punkins" as Natalie so affectionately calls them. At the pumpkin farm they got more than their fair share of hands on and hands in dirt learning.

I let each of them select their own favorite to bring home for Fall decor. We put them on the porch to make our house look pretty! Tonight we will carve one, scoop the seeds, roast them and snack on them as a treat. Tomorrow we will have gluten free pumpkin pancakes at breakfast and for dessert after our Sunday dinner- GF Pumpkin pie. Pumpkins Shmumpkins- it is Fall and I am going to be sure these kids fully understand why Autumn is my favorite season. The leaves should be at peak in the next few days so stay tuned for more photos of our own little Fall Fun Festival, Slutsky Style.

3 comments:

Ellen said...

Autumn is my favorite season too - looke like you guys had a lot of fun. As always, your kids are adorable!!

Jessica said...

I love the FALL! How fuN! Your landscaping looks awesome too!

Jessica said...

I love the FALL! How fuN! Your landscaping looks awesome too!

Blog Archive

The older crowd

The older crowd
Amanda and Mitchell

A blast from the past...makes it all so real now

counter