When you are three years old it is difficult to grasp the meaning of something until you are hands on touching, smelling, tasting and dealing with a subject directly. The change of seasons is a concept the kids know about but don't completely appreciate- yet that is. Today I set out to make them fans of Fall! Ahhhh, Autumn, the crisp weather, the crunchy leaves, the harvest foods....So, to illustrate my point in person, we took a field trip to the Pretty Pumpkin Patch in Pataskala- whew, that is a mouthful. The kids needed to be at one with the large orange gourds for the true learning experience.
Up until this morning they have seen pumpkins decorating the porches in our neighborhood and they know that pumpkins come in all shapes and sizes. But until today they thought pumpkins came from Giant Eagle. I talked and talked for 15 miles to and from the field- I am sure my kids can answer any question you may have about "punkins" as Natalie so affectionately calls them. At the pumpkin farm they got more than their fair share of hands on and hands in dirt learning.
I let each of them select their own favorite to bring home for Fall decor. We put them on the porch to make our house look pretty! Tonight we will carve one, scoop the seeds, roast them and snack on them as a treat. Tomorrow we will have gluten free pumpkin pancakes at breakfast and for dessert after our Sunday dinner- GF Pumpkin pie. Pumpkins Shmumpkins- it is Fall and I am going to be sure these kids fully understand why Autumn is my favorite season. The leaves should be at peak in the next few days so stay tuned for more photos of our own little Fall Fun Festival, Slutsky Style.
- ► 2011 (275)
- ► 2010 (313)
- ► 2009 (345)
- Very Niiiice- Great Success!
- We are not in Kansas anymore
- My NON Spending Spree
- Charlotte's Words- and a call to Lilly Bee
- The Poop Talk
- Baby-Gate the continuing saga
- Saturday School
- October is Baseball and Apple Pie
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Pie Tarts
- G-D bless Argenida
- Priorities- getting them straight
- Giggling at Stupidity
- Our own Friday Night Lights
- I am a Big City Girl
- What she Got?
- Big Mama is Serious -Do Not EFF with NAP TIME
- I am the Jewish Martha Stewart, OY, It's a good th...
- Frolicing through the Forest
- It's Finally Fall and we have the pumpkins to prov...
- Happy Holidays in and out of the Hood
- Boobs are like Martinis and other important lesson...
- What a birthday party is supposed to be....FUN!
- First comes the fun then comes Parental Hell at th...
- A visit to our friends at the NICU
- My Micro Preemies are THREE
- ▼ October (25)