Today I experimented with making Gluten Free Pumpkin Pie. The filling is naturally gluten free but the crust is another story....so I decided to grind up some gluten free Trader Joe's ginger snaps and make a crumb crust. By pulverizing the cookies into powder with my stick emursion blender, adding melted butter, and pressing the mixture into lined muffin cups, I was able to craft a tasty alernative to traditional pie dough. The project was a success, the kids loved the mini pies and I was thrilled that we have a new "on the go" dessert for C.J.- now, when we go somewhere I have a frozen stash of pies for him to take along. Da wishus!
Here is the easy recipe:
1 bag gluten free ginger snaps
1/2 stick of unsalted butter melted
dash of salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
2 tsp ground cinnamon
4 large eggs beaten
1 large 29 0unce can, pumpkin
2 12 ounce cans evaporated milk
Mix sugar salt and spices in small bowl. Add eggs, pumpkin and sugar spice mixture into a large bowl to combine. Once mixed add evaporated milk until smooth. Spoon into pie crust, in our case as follows:
Line muffin tins with foil papers. Spray generously with non stick spray. Press 2 tsp of crumbs into muffin cups and make sure they are even. Spoon or pour filling over crumbs. Bake at 350 degrees until toothpick comes out clean. Cool and top with whipped cream.
- ► 2011 (275)
- ► 2010 (313)
- ► 2009 (345)
- Very Niiiice- Great Success!
- We are not in Kansas anymore
- My NON Spending Spree
- Charlotte's Words- and a call to Lilly Bee
- The Poop Talk
- Baby-Gate the continuing saga
- Saturday School
- October is Baseball and Apple Pie
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Pie Tarts
- G-D bless Argenida
- Priorities- getting them straight
- Giggling at Stupidity
- Our own Friday Night Lights
- I am a Big City Girl
- What she Got?
- Big Mama is Serious -Do Not EFF with NAP TIME
- I am the Jewish Martha Stewart, OY, It's a good th...
- Frolicing through the Forest
- It's Finally Fall and we have the pumpkins to prov...
- Happy Holidays in and out of the Hood
- Boobs are like Martinis and other important lesson...
- What a birthday party is supposed to be....FUN!
- First comes the fun then comes Parental Hell at th...
- A visit to our friends at the NICU
- My Micro Preemies are THREE
- ▼ October (25)